• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jumping Wrasse Lands on His...Tail!

I was looking into my tank just as the lights went out, and I heard a *splish* and a wet *smack* -- my first jumper. My "yellow coris" wrasse hit the wall behind the tank and ended up on the floor, right in the middle out of reach. He was probably on the floor for 3 minutes while I tried to grab him with forceps and aqua-grabbers. He had a lot of dust and dog hair on him, but I got him back into the tank. He's lying on the bottom now, breathing pretty hard. Hope he's OK, poor little guy. Guess it's time to put netting or something over the tank!

jimroth said:
I was looking into my tank just as the lights went out, and I heard a *splish* and a wet *smack* -- my first jumper. My "yellow coris" wrasse hit the wall behind the tank and ended up on the floor, right in the middle out of reach. He was probably on the floor for 3 minutes while I tried to grab him with forceps and aqua-grabbers. He had a lot of dust and dog hair on him, but I got him back into the tank. He's lying on the bottom now, breathing pretty hard. Hope he's OK, poor little guy. Guess it's time to put netting or something over the tank!

lol. same here. my wrasse was covered in dog hair as well. considering i haven't had a dog in 2 years, that's pretty bad!

he is now a full time resident in the sump (the angel was chasing him)

Aaah, poor guy. I have the identical story, Jim, but different wrasse. Mine literally "fell" to the bottom of the tank and laid there, breathing super heavy, upside down, and I was sure he was a goner. By the next morning he was completely fine.

We placed plastic rabbit fencing on the back of the tank and haven't had any surfers since, even though one of my flashers periodically jumps up and dings his head open on the reflectors. :p

No sign of him at the morning feeding. I suspect he's laying low, like he did when I first got him. After all, it must be mind-blowing when you realize you're not really living on the reef...it's an artifical construct, made to contain you, and keep you happy and productive...it's THE MATRIX.

My wrasse got stuck in the filter sock for over a week and gave it for dead. I figured it died and got eaten by the crabs and snails and one day after "ringing out" the sock I felt it move and I have no idea how he made it!! He is now living in my friend's 110 very happy. Oh happy endings

Since the yellows are one of those burrow in the sand and sleep in a coat of mucus species, I'd be optimistic about his recovery.

I lost mine when he found a small gap in the eggcrate covering what was his happy home for almost 2 years. Since he saw still a little damp I tossed him in the sump just in case, but no luck.

I used diamond netting on the back of my canopy for the 180. Like Wendy I have a flasher that's always dinging his head on the VHO bulbs. So far the netting is keeping him containted.

At least once I add some netting I can get one of those Solarensis wrasses I wanted. My last one, years back, became a brightly colored corpse on the carpet.

He was out when I got home. Outside of a slightly torn up tail where I grabbed him, he was none the worse for his harrowing experience! :D