• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kalk stirrer

horseplay

NJRC Member
Anyone runs this? Don’t see a lot of discussions on this. Sounds like a good idea though. Thinking about giving it a try. easy and fool proof?

I ran a Avast Marine kalk stirrer for around a year work good. You figure out how much kalkwasser you use in 2 weeks time and put that much in the stir. Auto top of runs through it and doses kalkwasser it's a lot cleaner than putting it in your auto top off Reservoir.

i have been running one for a few years. it really does make a world of difference and is an excellent pump saver

i first used it with a dosing pump so I could be more accurate with it. now I just watch the ph probe. when I see it drop below 10 i just add another scoop

Thanks guys. Matt you have the avast as well? It has a ph port?

b9c22686ea2bd7e9a29a24f27b068323.jpg

radiata

NJRC Member
If you have the space or are plumbed into your basement, a reactor is a waste of money and just another point of failure. It is easier to use mix kalk in a large container and dose from there. Put a float switch in the container to tell you when to re-fill it. I once used a 55g drum and a paddle to mix it up with whenever I made more.

And, FWIW, don't add your kalk with an ATO. Use a separate dosing set-up. There are fluctuations in evaporation rates in most home environments, and you are better off adding a constant known amount of kalk daily then adding an unknown variable amount whenever...

horseplay

NJRC Member
I am a little Leary with dosing without an reactor. It seems quite complicated to mix the solution. I.e. mixing but not mixing too long so it won’t start reacting with the co2. A reactor takes this variable out of the equation. You always have the saturated solution so it’s easier to control the dosage.

I am thinking the BRS doses should work with a dosing pump. There is not a lot of demand yet so probably don’t need to dose much at the beginning.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I dose without a reactor, straight from my ATO. If I had the room, I'd use a reactor