• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kalk

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I am glad I read this, didn't know kalk doesn't dissolve completely. Some one gave me some kalk and a empty plamsa drip line/bag to use. If I did probably would have put the undissolved powder in my system.

I buy the small jar and use the whole thing. I have it all moving in there pretty good. Why? Is that bad? I change it once a month.

hayabusa dude you are a genius. I love the way you said to mix the kalk. It seems to working fantastic. I would have never thought of that. You are the man.

no problem..i use the same idea to steal gas ... :) Exposing the limewater to air may reduce it's potency, so what I do is stick a sponge in the opening of the container after I start my drip.

Concerning the GFO, I'm not sure if it's good or bad. Instructions say 50g per 50gal, and the whole container you're using is 150g. So you're at 3x the directions. Some people have experiences where if they use too much GFO, their alk drops. But I think that was an observation, not a fact. The idea is to have the granules moving around in the reactor at a slow flow rate. I use about 1/2 cup and change it out monthly. Cheaper that way :)

At any rate, it's working for you, and your ALK seems ok, so why change it. Your tank is looking good!

Thanks for the advice and the compliment. Its come a long way. Still want to do more and if i had the space i'd prob upgrade to a 180. Although my girl would prob leave so i guess i won't. At least not anytime soon.