• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kalkwasser Experiment - Questions

So i recently did some indepenent study of Kalkwasser from a few places. Watched some BRS videos and read some ReefCentral TOTM articles and noticed that an overwhelming amount of people use kalkwasser in some shape or form for their tank. Their tanks are very successful and imho eclipse what I have been able to achieve through dosing 2 part alone. Some of this I think I have supplemented through the Red Sea Color-up program but I don't take an approach to that program as many others would. I don't follow their dosing schedule or amounts and instead I dose during water changes and when lots of new corals are added etc. I look at it as a "booster" shot.

Dosing Kalk seems intimidating to me mainly because of the horror stories I heard people having. As such I decided to dose Kalk through my top off.

I have a 20 gallon top-off container and dissolved 2 Teaspons in 1 gallon of water. I waited 48 hours and poured the CLEAR portion into my top off container which immediately turned it milky. I'm assuming the saturation and some of the kalk got into the top off container. 48 Hours later I see that some particulates have settled on the bottom and my top off pump (tunze pump) had sucked up some of it and dosed it.

My ATO doses topoff through my coast to coast overflow which goes down into micron filter socks in my skimmer section through my fuge and then through a sponge to my return section. I have not noticed any kalk getting through this but I do plan to elevate my topoff pump a bit to avoid sucking up the tiny bit of particulate on the bottom.

Does anyone see anything wrong with my setup?

1. About how much Kalk should I put in my top off container for 20 gallons of water?
2. Can I continue to pour off the saturated kalkwater and add it directly to my ATO? container?..
3. Will the Calc particles on the bottom EVER completely dissolve? when should I remove them?
4. I evap about 1 to 2 gal a day or less.

Thanks in advance for your reccomendations.

I continued using Kalk even when I started dosing two part. Like you, I would make the kalk the day before, allowing it to sit overnight, and pour the clear settle kalkwasser into my top off container the following day. I used two tsp. per gallon of Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime(I think it has fewer impurities that other brands). I also kept a loose fitting lid on the top off container, and kept a piece of egg crate in the bottom to help keep the pump above any debris that may settle there.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Will be following your results and experience. I too have always wanted to use Kalk but I too am nervous for the same reasons you stated. Please keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 2.5 tablespoons of kalk per 5 gallons in my ATO. I have tried to pour just the clear in my ATO but it still turns milky. I cant even see through my ATO anymore. I have tried to keep it mixed up but it continues to settle. I end up cleaning the ATO out every couple months.