• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Katy's Reef

I'd like to start by thanking member Russell Bennett for giving me (really Katy) the tank.

Tank is a Fluval M90 AIO.
2 - Mp10
Sicce 1.5 return pump
Media basket with carbon, ceramic media & filter pads
Neptune ATKV2
Fluval light but have 2 AI Primes

I would also like to thank all the members that inspired me to start Katy's Reef. Looking at your beautiful tanks made me want to jump in sooner than I thought. Not to mention in July's meeting @MadReefer threatened me to hurry & get my tank wet. Lol. I was waiting to finish my 155 to post but @Sponge suggested I do a Tale of the Tank, so here it is

We picked up the Fluval M90 Sunday August 3rd. I thought cool, I have a smaller tank I can start off with. Mrs. liked the tank, end of story. Lol. Immediately when we got home Katy began cleaning the tank & equipment with vinegar & a ton of elbow grease. I sat back & watched. Lol. Kidding again. We let everything dry & began adding RODI water. Mind you, somehow most of the tubing was pulled out of the unit so needless to say I was reaching out for help. I called Sponge & he (while heroic music was playing in the background) assisted me (by text). I got the rodi unit working then Katy & I began filling the tank. We mixed the salt added it to the tank & added Dr. Tim's One & Only then added 2ppm of ammonia. Tested everyday then finally 0 ammonia! Added ammonia again, 24hrs later - 0. This took less than a month. Was a bit upset all this happened after the ACC 2019 Bash but I was okay because I didn't want to rush things. The cycle actually occurred pretty quickly. I added pods to the system to get them established somewhat before I added fish. I fed them phytoplankton so the pod population would flourish & not diminish. (Thanks Wilson for the heads up). Sponge & I had a fish day (last day in August?). Lol. Hung out a bit then we decided to stop by ACC which was having their Labor Day sale. Katy wanted a pair of ocellaris clownfish for her tank to start off with. She was working so I told Matt that if the price was right I was going to pick up a couple & surprise her. Sponge & I was able to pick up the tiny clowns, bring them home & acclimate them. We were actually shocked they bagged them separately in large bags. She later came home from work but I wasn't there. I was with Sponge (mi chilla) picking up our barrels from @Wilson. I get home, drop off the barrels & nothing! She doesn't notice the clowns until the following morning. Can't blame her, these 2 are tiny. I follow her downstairs & I hear in a loud screachy voice "Oh my God!, when did u put them in?" All while smiling from ear to ear. It was a great feeling. Now how do I tell her this is really my tank? Lol. Kidding.

I really want to thank everyone at the club & the hosts of the monthly meetings, you guys encouraged us to start our reef sooner than later. When the tank is more established then we'll add coral. Thank you all.Resized_20190803_131234.jpeg20190803_224609.jpg20190810_141723.jpg20190901_172256.jpg20190901_172317.jpg20190901_171612.jpg

Soon to come...... Freddie's 155 build starring Sponge the builder

Last edited:
Clowns are going to need meds. Stringy poop. No names yet. Lol

waiting on Elisa to name them. She said it's her tank. Lol.
Kids are great. My youngest Grandson spotted a little birds nest frag (just two points) he said he loved it. So we picked it up for him. Every day he comes over. He makes sure we know that one is his. And how well it is doing.