• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Keeping sps under leds?

Does anyboby keep sps under only leds? Have you kept them for a while like this to see long term effects? Just wondering how sps growth is compared to mh? I seen them over tanks and color is great but never hear about the growth

we had a solarec led system when it first came out before that we had an mh system to me the led's just didnt bring the colors out like the mh we sold it after about 12 months

yep...same here.

Idaho grape cap is completely washed out in color under my leds. Same with the superman montis.

Of course my water quality is really bad because i haven't been good about maintaining it - but to me T5s or MH are the way to go.

But then again the newer LEDS may be better.

I was curious cause ledwholesalers.com has crazy low prices on led stuff. Cheapset i ever seen so i dont know how good they are

hey nick,
Pm mgonz he has leds running for a short period of time now maybe a month. he has noticed better results then his 8x54w nova fixture and he has 2 of the 120w panels which are both compared to 250mh's. They are the aquarium led you seen on ledwholesalers but he had them custom maid with 3 switchs and paid cheaper then that site. He went straight through the manufacture and not the middle man. i know your question was about mh comparison but check out his tank, its amazing. i dont know if he updated his tale of the tank thread with led running. i just ordered 2 maxspect g2 160w versions for my 75g, i am also upgrading from t5's (6x54w tek light). you should try to get over by mgonz place his tank is really a piece of art, he is located in hillside

thanks for the nice comment . i have been using the exact fixtures from ledwholesalers just bought them somewhere else. i have seen some colors get better but still to early to tell. i had the fixtures made with more blue bulbs than white to give me more of an actinic look. so far looking very good.

Nickjr000 said:
I was curious cause ledwholesalers.com has crazy low prices on led stuff. Cheapset i ever seen so i dont know how good they are

Those are junk, not made for and not even close to a real reef LED light. They have been discussed many times on other sites. One that comes to mind is nano reefers lighting forums.

The newer LED reef lights will make your corals color pop even more than a T5.

It is no different than the pacsun fixtures. It has been discussed and like everything else some say they are good some say they aren't. I've been running them for about a month and haven't seen anything bad from them. Corals are looking colorful and seem to be growing pretty well. Each panel is compared to a 250 watt halide. When I first put them over my tank some colors looked bad. I would say that most have adjusted well to them. So all in all I'd have to say I disagree with your opinion of the fixtures being junk.

since you say it is no different than the pacsun here is the pic of pacsun. and you have the other fixture - please post the pic of the inside of your lamp. so we can compare.

cree5-1.jpg

mgonz said:
It is no different than the pacsun fixtures.

I'd love to do it but not willing to take my personal fixture apart to prove a point. The panal is 120 watts, 119 one watt LEDs. Three fans on top to cool internal heat sink. The only thing it lacks is the sun rise and sunset effect. I also had mine made with more blue bulbs than white so I could have more of a 20k look.. Two power cords to run blues for an actinic and all blue and white for days. All bridgelux one watt LEDs.

I am not asking you to take apart. Just unscrew 4-6 screws and take it a picture, show the internal driver, show the heatsink etc. you will ask me why am I messing with you? simple - fixtures are not even close to be the same and the only way to prove it is to see whats inside and how fixtures are build. thats why i asked for the pic to prove my point.

mgonz said:
I'd love to do it but not willing to take my personal fixture apart to prove a point. The panal is 120 watts, 119 one watt LEDs. Three fans on top to cool internal heat sink. The only thing it lacks is the sun rise and sunset effect. I also had mine made with more blue bulbs than white so I could have more of a 20k look.. Two power cords to run blues for an actinic and all blue and white for days. All bridgelux one watt LEDs.

i was using a current nova extreme 8x54. i remember when i got my t5 fixture people said the same thing.. only time will tell..

I agree. Always gonna have people who like and dislike the same thing. I actually bid on the ledwholeale light on ebay and won it very cheap. Suprised myself. Might use it on the frag tank. Any pics of your tank wit the led's?

Nothing that will do it justice.. you and anyone else is more than welcome to come by and take a look for yourselves though. I tried a couple of shots but the blue is over powering and cant get any of the true colors in a photo..

it is just silly to say that one thing is similar to the other based that it has 1W bulbs. the list of differences is pretty long and for people who dont have led knowledge by reading statements like that something "looks" similar - well, it does not mean it is in reality.

even the picture/s on ebay that are used by that seller are stolen pics from a reefer that is not using these leds.

Nickjr000 said:
Geesh and i thought the mh war was bad! LOL.

Mgonz, what lighting did you have before?

Aren't you a distributor for pacsun? Or don't you sell the fixtures? With that being said I'm not surprised that you'd be the first to discredit another product. I'm not speaking for no one but myself. I use the fixture in my personal system and am seeing great results. If you can afford to spend 1200 on a fixture than good for you. As for some of us who's pockets aren't that deep this is a much better solution for a fraction of the price.

This original thread was started with one simple question, Can LEDs keep sps, my answer from my experiance is yes they can. Can we please keep Nicks thread on track?

All I am trying to say that your statement that both lamps are the same is inaccuret. even the person you bought the lights is using the stolen pic/s. thats all.

it is not about the price or who I am or I am not or sucess you have with the lights. those lights are not the same and simple way is to post a pic of the inside of them to see the differences.

mgonz said:
Aren't you a distributor for pacsun? Or don't you sell the fixtures? With that being said I'm not surprised that you'd be the first to discredit another product. I'm not speaking for no one but myself. I use the fixture in my personal system and am seeing great results. If you can afford to spend 1200 on a fixture than good for you. As for some of us who's pockets aren't that deep this is a much better solution for a fraction of the price.

This original thread was started with one simple question, Can LEDs keep sps, my answer from my experiance is yes they can. Can we please keep Nicks thread on track?

mgonz said:

My thoughts exactly.

Mgonz thanks for ans my ?'s and the pic. Sorry for the abuse, lol. Tank looks good under those leds. Looks like everything in your tank grew in good, was that all from the t5's you had before?