• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kids got the itch back...

SO! Its been a very long long time since ive been on here. Formally Ryan88...I am back with a big itch to start another saltwater tank. I learned so much the first time I jumped into this hobby. This time Im starting alot slower! I saw my 10 g tank in the garage the other day and my mind starting thinking of what I could do with it. After a little while I thought hey, I could maybe start another saltwater setup. It will be a nice small start to see if I can really learn more and not have such a big setup...which yes, 29g was alot of work for me. I really cant wait to start...actually found a big (open) bag of live sand...dont know if I can or should use it...but thats why Im here. What Im looking to do is have like I said a nice small setup for now anyway lol. Live rock, def. some corals, and maybe some smaller fish. Any suggestions from the incredibly knowledgeable people around here would be GREAT!! I know we all started off somewhere...so happy to be back here!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Welcome back to the forum!! The live sand is now dead sand which does not mean you can't use it, you just need some live sand or rock from a fellow reefer to seed it. It might also need a rinse depending on where the bag was and how "open" the bag was. Are you going to go ahead with the 10g?

So nice to see a response 66 views later...yes I think I'm going to go with the 10g setup !! Maybe if I throw out there that I am looking.to buy old equipment from fellow reefers that will get me some more responses :) I've been researching light requirements for keeping softies so that's been keeping me busy. I just got up so in a little while ill put some pics of the tank and stuff up.

Well welcome back. I wouldn't use the LS since it has been sitting for a while. Just get new sand and get a scoop of sand from another fellow reefer which will seed your tank

Wow really? I have a petco near me...not.sure of they would be open today, but that's fantastic. The 10g I have is the old eclipse system with the filtration in the hood. I dont have the parts for it though. so if I don't use the hood it would be a rimless tank...which doesn't help hold the filter ill prob be putting on the back. Maybe with that price ill just get a new 10g.

They should be open. You should grab a 40b for the display and a 20 long for a sump that would be $60. I would also suggest to become a paid member and post in the WTB forum for equipment that your gonna need. We all have some equipment laying around.

Yea like I said. ..when I forsr started doing this a few yrs ago it was crazy...not to.mention crazy expensive lol
. basically what I want for now is a small display tank with some rock...softies...and possibly a fish or two. I'm going to head to petco and see what they have. ill be posting later either way about my experience.

SO! Just got back from Petco. I didnt give into the temptation...bought what I said I wanted and thats a new 10g tank. My next question is about filtering the tank...Ive been reading on a small tank that the live rock and enough flow would be good enough. If anything I was going to get an AC HOB and call it a day. I dont plan on adding a crazy amount of rock. Going to look at powerheads now...

SO! Just got back from Petco. I didnt give into the temptation...bought what I said I wanted and thats a new 10g tank. My next question is about filtering the tank...Ive been reading on a small tank that the live rock and enough flow would be good enough. If anything I was going to get an AC HOB and call it a day. I dont plan on adding a crazy amount of rock. Going to look at powerheads now...
You definitely have willpower. I would have gave in and bought the 40b. For powerhead you should look into the Tunze 6015. That should be more then enough flow. Good luck.

Thanks Jose! Yea I just think that this is going to be a process and Id rather start out small and always could upgrade in the future. I posted on the WTB forum...I am looking to buy from other members any equipment that would help me start off. I plan on heading over to TROP on wednesday to get some water/rock so I can get the tank up and running by wednesday night

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
IIRC salt water was a buck a gallon, I have not bought it there in a long time but that seems right (50 cents for rodi). Rock depends on which type you are buying. They had a bunch of real rock in not too long ago that was really nice, but I don't remember the per pound price on it.

Saw some lights on Marine Depot. Ive been trying to post the link, but its not letting me. Anyway...its the AquaticLife T5 HO Light Link Fixture - Marine and the Coralife Aqualight Dual T5 Lamp High Output Fixture what do u guys think?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Two bulbs might be enough for softies, but is really going to limit you to any other corals. I would prefer a 4 bulb fixture, that way you can do softies and anything else.

Found a really cool setup on Dr. Foster Smith....again cant post the link but the name is Coralife Lunar Aqualight HO T5 Aquarium Light Fixture for $159 I think its a STEAL...should I jump on it?

Now I think Im finally going to go with Aquatic Life Light T5 HO 4-Lamp 2-Lunar Aquarium Light, 20-Inch. For the money its an excellent fixture...plus it has a led display timer. Im sold. For $224 on amazon im good to go.