• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

King Brothers Plumbing fittings

Any opinions on King Brothers plumbing supplies? Amazon has them, and the prices seem pretty good. I plan on using schedule 80, especially above the basement.

The box stores seem to lack decent supplies. And a guy on RC had a Lowes ball valve fail on a closed loop and he lost 300 gallons in 3 mins...

Throw me your plumbing knowledge...

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
......I plan on using schedule 80, especially above the basement....

I don't understand the use of schedule 80....especially if using pipe, unions, etc, because you'll lose internal diameter. Schedule 80 is for high pressure. There is virtually no pressure with our systems....and they are relatively expensive. So what am I missing?

I don't understand the use of schedule 80....especially if using pipe, unions, etc, because you'll lose internal diameter. Schedule 80 is for high pressure. There is virtually no pressure with our systems....and they are relatively expensive. So what am I missing?

It seems schedule 40 can have performance issues. Valves hard to open and close, failures, etc. I can't take a chance upstairs. I will need just 2 unions and a gate valve upstairs. Peace of mind means a lot to me.

I agree. If you want piece of mind go to a plumbing supply house where the real contractors go to get there stuff. You will pay more but the quality of their stuff is better than anything you can get at had or lowes. Those stores have a tendency to be a dumping ground for manufacturers sub standard parts. In a pinch I will go to the depot but if I want something to last I go to plumbing supply.

As for schedule 80 all it will really do for you is raise your operating pressure and lower your volume.

all pvc ball valves are lousy for our use unless you want it strictly to turn the water off completely, if you want to regulate the water, gate valves work better. if you go with ball valves, put a strap on both sides of the valve to keep the pipe secure while operating the valve.