• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Klir Filter vs Clarisea vs Rolltermat

So I've preordered the Klir Di-4 from Joe @ Iconic Aquariums, waiting for that to be released at the beginning of September. I've never run filter socks on my tank, since I knew myself well enough to realize that I wouldn't change them often enough. I've got a lot more fish in my system now than I ever did before, partly due to purchases, partly due to a friend of mine moving away and wanting his babies to go to a good home (including an 8" cubicus who poops about as much as my dog). So while my tank params are fine due to weekly water changes, aggressive skimming with biopellets, and a 12x18" dual side algae scrubber, I'm really starting to notice a lot of particulates in the water column. So I'm gonna start socking.

I looked at the Theiling Rollermat, which I honestly like the design of better than the competitors (seems easier to change roll, seems less likely to have a churning water surface that dislodges large particles as the roll as advanced, etc), it has the big drawback of needing to be plumbed directly into major flow, and also has a relatively low GPH rating.

Looked at the Clarisea, which honestly seems to combine the drawbacks of the rollermat with its own issues... Needs to run in sump, needs to be plumbed in, needs to be fully removed for maintenance, expensive. Also d0esn't seem to have much support in US.

So that landed me with the Klir Filter, which has zero reviews since it's not out, but claims to be a drop in replacement for either 4" or 7" filter socks. This is the only product that I can add to my system without extensive replumbing, so it starts off well. It does need to be removed from the system for roll change, but since it's not actually plumbed in, it seems like it has an advantage. It's rated for higher GPH than the Rollermat, and can be partially bypassed easily. It's also less expensive than the competitors. The downside I see is that since water enters at the top, it might have trouble removing larger particles (like mysis) which I've seen videos of the Rollermat removing without issue. So time will tell on that.

Anyway, I'll add my experience with the Klir once I've got it in and running.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Unless your building a new sump, the Klir wins hands down. It may win either way. I'm waiting for the 7 inch Klir. I can run 4 or 7 inch filter socks in my sump, the 7 inch makes more sense in regards to $$ per GPH in my situation. I may get impatient and run two 4 inch until I can order a 7 inch, we'll see.

Regardless, I like running filter socks but hate cleaning them. These things can't be released fast enough for me.

Best of luck however you go...

Dave

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I read a few times about folks having moisture and mold issues with the roller mat under its cap. Also like you mentioned, it requires you to shut down and re-plump into your system.

Personally, I have been seriously considering running the Klir on my next build being that it's a more plug n play option.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I am actually considering getting the Klir as well, I am just trying to figure out if it will fit an Eshopps R-100 Gen 3 sump.

not a fan of filter socks at all but if this takes out some of the hassle, i'm all for it.

I almost pulled the trigger on the 4 inch one and two sock shut offs cuz I have three 4 inch socks in my sump. But I was doing some research and saw that you need an inch and a half of clearance for the water level to rise to engaged mechanism to roll the sock up. In my Sump that's pretty close to the cutout for my filter sock overflow. So I figured I'd just wait and see how they work with trigger system sumps.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
i actually have the Clarisea coming on monday. so we can have an unveiling and ill create a post

DangerDave

NJRC Member
They mentioned making adapters for the various sump mfrs on a R2R thread, you may have a few month wait. I’m waiting for the 7”model myself.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Great design! From the hinge for fitting to the level monitors.
I'm religious on changing my mesh socks I'm still tempted to look into one of these in the future.
This guy should make a mint on this, best of luck to him.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
If this works. No carbon and GFO i assume. Since all that particulate should be removed. Excited to see results. i have to clean my glass every other day.. so would be interested to see the change

Stay tuned

DangerDave

NJRC Member
If this works. No carbon and GFO i assume. Since all that particulate should be removed. Excited to see results. i have to clean my glass every other day.. so would be interested to see the change

Stay tuned

That's very optimistic, and I hope your right. I have to clean my filter socks daily, skim like it's going out of style, and still have to manage my organics....

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
That's very optimistic, and I hope your right. I have to clean my filter socks daily, skim like it's going out of style, and still have to manage my organics....

That was meant to be more of a question than a statement.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
That was meant to be more of a question than a statement.

I would still run both as needed. usage on the GFO side MIGHT decrease but I wouldn't hold my breath honestly. lol depending on bioload, how heavily you feed and what types of food this might just keep your sump a little bit cleaner than before.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Do you guys think that with the improved clarity of the water. I might have to adjust leds to avoid cooking the corals ?