• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Koralia magnum powerheads

Ok wondering if anyone here knows if the Koralia magnum(5) are able to be controlled by a wavemaker? If not I'd have to go with the koralia evo 1400...but not sure if that would be the flow Im looking for on the 125gal.Any help would be appreciated

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don’t see in that link were it states that the Magnum’s are controllable.

Also, if you go to the Hydor site, it clearly states Evolution pumps are “controllable,” while that language in not in the Magnum section.

I vote NO.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Paul,
Third paragraph from the bottom, last sentence.

"Hobbyists willing to spend approximately an extra $100 can combine the latest generation Koralia powerheads with a Hydor, JBJ or similar controller to create even more varied water flow patterns within their aquarium."

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
According to the Hydor product page these pumps are "timer compatible". Mousing over this icon shows a popup stating: "CONTROLLABLE - Can be connected to a timer and can work on intervals of sec, min, or hrs."

I think that means that you can plug them into a timer to turn them on/off at certain times... but not sure that means you can connect them to a controller to adjust speed, etc.

However, I browsed their help forums and found this:
Hydor koralia magnum 8 and smartwave controller
I am trying to find a solution to a problem with my magnum 8 powerhead. I had it connected to my smartwave controller but had to unplug it as every time it restarts it makes up to 3 loud clunking noises. I have taken it apart and everything seems fine. They are both only about a week old and I bought them because I read on your site that they are compatible. Is this a know issue with these pumps or is there a simple fix that I need to do. Please advise as soon as possible.

Apparently, someone is using the smartwave controller with the magnum 8 and says they are compatible... even though he's hearing some noises on each start up. Could be just a malfunction of his PH or maybe they all will do that? Who knows. Point is, they do in fact seem to be controllable by a wavemaker.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I stand corrected.

The Hydor Koralia SmartWave Circulation Pump Timer description says:

The Smart Wave works with Koralia Nano, Evolution and Magnum as well as other powerheads on the market compatible with ON/OFF programs.

It just seems that they are not mentioning (advertising) the controllability as much with the Magnums or Nanos as they are with the Evolutions.

Accordingly I change my vote to YES

Thanks so far for all the help.I wanted to use them with the redsea wavemaker.I also have been looking at the JBJ oceanstream 1600 gph..seems the more I read the lsee sure I am..lol