• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Koralia powerheads position?

Hey guys i have two number 3 koralia powerheads on my 110g tank and they are not powerful enough to make any type of waves. So i have order two number 5 which should be coming in this week. Does any one have any input on how to position them for the best result. Should i place them all in one side top,mid,bottom or should i place two in each corner towards back,side, or front. Thanks

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There are varying schools of thought regarding placement and flow. One opinion is that the powerheads should be angled toward each other to create a random flow based on the output of each crashing into each other where they meet. The other thought is to create a rotational flow by having the powerheads point in the same direction in order to get the entire volume of water moving the same way. Doing this allows a larger volume of water to pass by the corals, which create their own random flow by breaking up the water as it passes by them. This is the approach I take in my tanks.

I would put the 2 new ones on the back of the tank in the upper top pointing somewhere near the middle of the front of the tank . Then I would use the old powerhead you have and mount it on the bottom back of the tank and point that whereever you need more flow . I know sometimes the bottom part of the tank is hard to get flowing . esp if there is LR in the way