• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

LED affect on Zoa/palys

I have a question. I bought the Apollo LEDs and generally am very happy with them. I have a large number of AOG that used to extend sometimes up to an inch on the stock. Now they do not do this. So I am wondering if a) it has to do with the LED output being higher than T5 b) different spectrum of light from T5 to LED c) or nothing to with lighting at all but something chemical(my tank is knock on wood very stable currently and other than coralline algae, algae free)? Oh and I don't test much and dose only some Iodine, Mag and two part occasionally. :eek: I am good with weekly water changes and cleaning. Any thoughts?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Zoas generally stretch becaus they are not getting enough light, so your zoas are probably a lot happier under the brighter lights. One of the biggest myths about zoas is that they are all low light corals. The majority of zoas are actually shallow water and found around SPS colonies with par around 800 in the wild. There are some that prefer lower light (like any group of corals) and just like any other coral light acclimation is important. From my own experience, under MH and LED you will get the best colors out of your zoas when you blast them with light (obviously after moving them up slowly).

Thanks...I see that the LEDs are much stronger...I have a beautiful sunset monti(Darren's collection) that is half shaded by another green cap and it grows better in the shade than in full light.

What Apollo lights did you get? I'm looking at them on Amazon and they are surprisingly affordable but seem aimed at horticulture.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You do not want "horticulture" fixtures...they tend to be 4000 to 6500 kelvin, which is great for plants, but will make your corals look brown. Also note that Apollo unfortunately is no longer in business. And FYI, I have two Apollos over my tank.