• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

LED fixtures from Red Sand

Anybody have these? Looking to upgrade to LEDs. Was wondering if anybody had these fixtures and if you're happy with them. Mostly want to keep sps. The tank is 2 feet deep. Would the two fixtures have enough power or would I be limited to keeping sps only in the top half, in your opinion? I'm just worried as in Feng's showtank, he gets amazing color out of his corals, but does have one fixture for every foot of tank length. Thanks.

We have one over our 70 cube 30x30x18 deep The light is 1' over the tank and we have sps on the sand bed. You can
take a look at my pics that I took with my cell. The pics don't do it justice.

I had 2 over my 120 (standard shape 120). They did a great job, and I got a lot of sps and lps growth. I am running radions now, but plan to use the "fengtures" (copyright, Jonathan, 2011) over my our frag tank. They are very loud, and not dimmable, but did a great job for me.

thanks for the replies guys. nice tank adesimone1. did you guys have any problems with the fixtures? i know the generic "made in china" ones often die after a few years due to heat. anybody have these for a while and have that problem?

Yes-on one of my fixtures, half of the blue panel went out. The good news is that you can bring them back to Feng and he will attempt to fix them. I still have to bring mine back. He actually offered when I told him that the panel went loopy on me. He's definitely a class act. I just wish he carried more supplies, and a a larger variety of fish/coral.

I don't want to jinx myself but we have had no issues with noice or problems with lights we are running ours on the rkl and we love the light. We won another brand light at Hidden Reef tried that light had all the bells and whistles we had the Feng light back up within an hour.

I didn't buy mine from Feng, but have two of these on my tank, and would say that one for every two feet of tank length would be more than enough. They are a very vanilla fixture with no dimming feature. You can however control the blue/white on/off with a controller or timer. The fans do run the whole time the fixture is lit, but so did my MH fixture, and I don't think the noise is any worse. I didn't replace my MH fixture for this reason, but one of the cost justifications is that it would have cost me around $350.00 to replace the lamps in my old fixture (3 x MH's, 4 x PC's). So, if I get just one year out of these fixtures they will have paid for themselves, since I'd be replacing the lamps again in another year. I'm getting good growth and PE from my SPS, and have three Maxima Clams sitting on the bottom.

Here's one from e-bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Co...644?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0bcd83cc

The benefit of buying from Red Sand is he does the warranty work in his shop. If anything goes wrong with the fixture there is no shipping involved and a shorter wait time. There is a lot to be said with that kind of service. He is also one of our sponsors.