• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

LED Hanging Stand or Light Stand over Tank

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Before you start making your LED hanger, make sure the plug end of the wire fits through the tubing you bought. Would hate to see you bend it, paint it, then find out the plug wire won't fit through it. :eek: Otherwise, you may have to cut/splice the plug after you run the wire though the tube.

On a side note, I would personally recommend building a canopy to house the LED's as opposed to making a hanger bracket. The reason being that with LED's (depending on the lens angles you have and the height you mount them) the light can tend to spill over the top of the tank before it makes it to the water. This leads to lighting up the room more than it does your tank. Some people don't mind it, but others find that the spillover light is blinding when you get close to the tank.

If you build a canopy and paint the interior white, you can not only block some of the stray light rays but it can also reflect some of that light back into the tank. Obviously budget and taste will warrant which option you choose, but just thought I'd point that out.

That is an amazing looking setup George. Unfortunately, I can't weld. :( Otherwise, this is a good option too. I was planning on splicing the wires if they don't fit through the holes. I did reach out to HockeyNut for a stand and canopy. Just waiting on the loan to be sanctioned.. lol

howze01

NJRC Member
If you drill holes to run the wire through make sure you use some kind of rubber grommets around the hole to make sure the edges of the metal don't rub through the wires.

If you drill holes to run the wire through make sure you use some kind of rubber grommets around the hole to make sure the edges of the metal don't rub through the wires.

Thanks! Excellent point! I was just going to file it down, but the rubber grommets sounds like a great idea.