• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

led lighting

can anyone give me their opinion about this specs for leds
COLOR BRIGHT WHITE
100 WATTS OF LIGHT
lumens 697
i am thinking about 4 maybe 5 strips of this light for a 125 gallon

could work.... might want to think about complementary lighter towards the blue end of the spectrum, the 7500 i suppose would give good growth, but would be a little yellowish, so a couple good actinics would round it out some..

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm intrigued by the HID lighting that Aquatic Life has developed. They have a combo HID/T5 fixture that I think would be a great solution.

Aquatic Life HID

I saw that fixture but the bulbs are actually HM right? That was what I understood the HID to be when I looked it up. At first I thought it was LED but then MH. Honestly bit confused. ???

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It is a High Intensity Diode. So it isn't MH nor, technically LEDs. I saw Eric Borneman with an HID flashlight at our swap. He shined it on back speaker room hall from the front of the room. When he used it under a par meter it gave off over 100par. All that par came from a couple of C batteries. Very little energy consumption, very low heat transfer and lots of par. Now maybe just enough to replicate a 175w bulb at this stage of the game, but it gives great hope for what will come.

Thanks for the explanation Phyl. I saw them advertised in TFH and looked them up because they really looked to be a great middle ground like you said. Almost MH with lower heat and electricity. With T5 suplementation I would guess they would be pretty good. I would really like to see them. Do you know how often you have to replace the Diode?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
No but I believe that I read that it is guarenteed for 2 years!

fisheye

NJRC Member
I got these:

b790_1.JPG

It is very dim. :mad: Don't buy them!!

You can come and see them if you are in Edison area.

ok i got the lights turns out the guy sent me ten strips. so i will hook up all of them this weekend. i will post pics of before and after. hope it works