• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

LED Lights

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Now that have the Reef Octopus skimm e running the tank looks great. I want to save for lights. How many watts of LED to keep Soft & LPS coral?

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not really watts with leds, though you usually want 3 watts per led, but more about colors, but with Lps and softies you can use the cheap Chinese fixtures or go with reefbreeders if you want. There are other higher priced options depending on the look you want.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
TSM corals were using the MARS LED's and the corals looked great, lps and sps, all fat n healthy

Hi all, what is the general opinion on LED vs. MH?

Getting back into the hobby after a 15 year hiatus, surprised that so little has changed. Thinking I probably need some additional light for a ~90 Gal SPS tank I plan to set up. I already purchased a Reef Brite pendant with XHO LED strips running an Ushio 14K MH bulb with a Luxcore ballast. Thinking I could use either another MH hybrid pendant or a couple side LED pendants. Would appreciate your thoughts.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Hi all, what is the general opinion on LED vs. MH?

Getting back into the hobby after a 15 year hiatus, surprised that so little has changed. Thinking I probably need some additional light for a ~90 Gal SPS tank I plan to set up. I already purchased a Reef Brite pendant with XHO LED strips running an Ushio 14K MH bulb with a Luxcore ballast. Thinking I could use either another MH hybrid pendant or a couple side LED pendants. Would appreciate your thoughts.
That's something that can be debated all day. Many people love metal halide and wouldn't switch. The same debate goes for t5 and LEDs as well. I love my t5's and it will take a lot for me to get rid of them. I think your choice of the MH/reefbrite combo fixture is a great choice.

falconut

NJRC Member
I switched from MH to LED over 2 years ago and have been extremely happy. I went with 2 Ocean Revive S026 fixtures and love the look.

I believe the coverage is 2'x2' area each fixture. I can grow SPS at the bottom of my 90 too. You just use the dimmers to dial up the brightness and coloration you like best.