• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

LED T5 Hybrid.....awesome

I recently upgraded my lighting, which was LED only, by adding a T5 hybrid fixture with great results.
The Led setup is Aquatic Life LED's, a master and slave, which feature built in programming, which I like very much. Adding the Aquatic Life T5 hybrid light fixture allowed me to utilize my LED's and run 4 T5 bulbs.
Finding the right color spectrum to match your aesthetic desires requires you to play with T5 bulbs,, and mix and match different color spectrum bulbs.
We are using actinic, super blue, and coral plus.

The corals are growing like crazy and I have never seen some of them open as much as they do now.
Also even illumination from all sides really changes the way the tank looks and takes some getting used to if you are used to only LED's. Too much white and you could lose some of the fluorescence pop the LED's produce, that is where playing with bulbs comes into play.

Overall very happy with the results without having to shell out big bucks for a turn key hybrid fixture.
The Aquatic Life fixture is very basic, just on and off when plugged in, no switches to turn it on, no timers or programming, it requires a timer. But the payback is huge for a smaller investment than a full featured fixture such as the Geisemann.
I will try to post some photos.

mike

Me to. Would love any info at all. I know what led I want but confused as to what color T5 bulbs to use

erics210

NJRC Member
So Dave if using 2-ap700, did you buy a rack to hold them between the 2 or 4 bulbs? Are the t5 controllable and dimmable. I read some t5 are dimmable.

Yea. I find the concept of t5 hybrid very interesting as well. I been doing a lot of thinking about them lately.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
So Dave if using 2-ap700, did you buy a rack to hold them between the 2 or 4 bulbs? Are the t5 controllable and dimmable. I read some t5 are dimmable.

I just used a couple shelving brackets hung upside down. It’s in wall, the tank is in the garage, so it didn’t have to pass wifeys judgement. :D

It’s the aquatic life hybrid fixture. It’s not dimmable, but they are working on a new fixture that is. No biggies, I ramp up the leds then the T5 turn.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
This is a really long thread, but you can follow the development of all the options they make, and the talk towards the end of the dimmable unit they’re working on.