• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lets Talk Clams

I am looking into finally placing a clam now that I have appropriate lighting for my tank to sustain a clam (Hydra 52). I am looking at a Maxima clam. I hear that they prefer to be on the rockscape rather than the sand bed. I also have read that they needed to be in high flow. Can anyone confirm or debunk these ideas? ORA has stated that their clams don't need to be fed if even though they're under 3", but I'm considering feeding them anyway.

What colors does everyone have vs what colors are their favorite and they wish they had?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I am looking into finally placing a clam now that I have appropriate lighting for my tank to sustain a clam (Hydra 52). I am looking at a Maxima clam. I hear that they prefer to be on the rockscape rather than the sand bed. I also have read that they needed to be in high flow. Can anyone confirm or debunk these ideas? ORA has stated that their clams don't need to be fed if even though they're under 3", but I'm considering feeding them anyway.

What colors does everyone have vs what colors are their favorite and they wish they had?

I had one clam and have not gotten another one yet but do want another one. I had a maxima and every time I put him on the rocks he would kick himself to the sand. I finally got him on a rock next to the sand. A buddy of mine said any clam under 2" needs to be feed so if you get a small one I would def feed it.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful good luck man

I had a Maxim clam for 3 years got it when it was under 3 inches and I never directly fed him. I placed him on a flat rock on the sand bed they like enough flow that it just ruffels their mantle. Before he died he was around 5 inches

I have 4 clams 3 deresa and a blue maxima. My maxima was 3/4 when I got it. I have never spot fed any of my clam. My maxima is now 2.5 inches.
ca68c801995515ebaac73020afe870ee.jpg
2e1c7edde94aabc105241b1034a8ad79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ORA clams are pretty much relying on photosynthesis at their for sale stage. I have spoke to them on numerous occasion regarding this topic, I prefer taking their words over many simply because these guys breed them, and one must know clams in order to breed them. Keeping your water in good condition with proper nutrient level along with a stable cal/dkh is the key just like everything else in a reef tank. I have seen photos of customer's clams went from the purchased size to about 3inchs+ within a year or so without spot feeding or anything drastic.

Yeah I agree I only have had my clam for about 8-9 months and it went from 3/4 to about 2.5 inches. My deresa clams have doubled in size. They grow faster them maxima. If you want a hardy clam that grows fast and doesn’t have high light demand deresa or squamosa is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been told high light and nutrients are key. I too just upgraded lighting and am starting to test nutrients, want to learn about dosing and managing nutrient levels before trying a clam.