• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Letting my girls run my tank

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So today I will be heading up to North Jersey; Secaucus (same complex area where RAP is held). I am heading up there for some training for work. This will be my first time away from my tank more then one night. My tank can pretty much run on auto but for the ATO right now. I am working on adding an ATO to my controller so my current one is down. I showed my girls how to add water to my tank. My youngest's (5 years old) job is to look at my touch screen and let my oldest know when the icon turns green. My oldest's (7 years old) job is to add water to the tank.

My tanks are off limits to my wife and kid my kid is only two and a half but she does like scraping the glass of my quarantine tank :)

Last edited:

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
my girls normally don't touch my tank but with me being out of town from tonight until late friday night I gave them permission to only add water once a day following my direction. there are not allow to do anything else. there nothing they can get into that can mess my tank up (unless they kill the power). My wife and my mom will be home to 'over see' them lol

My son has crashed my tank twice. Once he pour all the additive to the tank and killed all the coral. The second time he pour alk in tank the spike killed the coral. Now if he gets the chance he tries to put people food in tank. ( daddy am feeding your fish for you) he’s only 3. God bless his little heart. I have no top or cover so I blame myself for theses things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
hands off to all, this way there's nobody else to blame if something goes wrong

Agree. Last vacation I saw that 3 gallons of water were not added for top off, I normally evaporate 1g per day. Also, noticed 3 bags of food in freezer; I put the amount of food in separate bags and state 1 per day. I hope the ATO will help with evaporation issue as its a 7 or 8 gallon hex tank. Food will have to see but missing a few days should not be an issue.

Agree. Last vacation I saw that 3 gallons of water were not added for top off, I normally evaporate 1g per day. Also, noticed 3 bags of food in freezer; I put the amount of food in separate bags and state 1 per day. I hope the ATO will help with evaporation issue as its a 7 or 8 gallon hex tank. Food will have to see but missing a few days should not be an issue.
I use a Eheim auto feeder works great for 20 bucks

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Wow you are brave. 3 of my 4 boys still live at home. They’re 14 years old. They used to help me when they were younger, that’s how my last tank, a 120g, got so scratched up.... I’m being greedy with this tank. I won’t let them (or anyone really) near it.

Dave

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So I have no dosing stuff near my tank; all of that chem and what not are in a different room. The only thing they have access to is the control system I am building which has 4 buttons on the screen. The girls know not to touch the screen (I had a tank running for 2+ years without them once touching anything they shouldn't). If my ato was working I wouldn't even bother asking them to top off but because I am in the middle of working on that part it needs to be manually done. My yoygest job (which she knows) is to just look at the screen and when my icon (which is a picture of a fish in a box) turns green to let my oldest know. My oldest knows to add water until my youngest tells her to stop. Now my wife and my mother know these directions as well so they can over see them. I'm not worry about feeding my fish (gone 4+ days without feeding before so they be ok). My corals at on Sunday and I only feed them once a week so they be good there. everything else on the tank is automatic so no worries there. Also this is only a temporary tank until I get a house. Its no where near what I would want with a DT so if it crashes it would be ashamed but I wouldn't be too upset over it.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
How did your girls do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not bad. the wife informed me the first day they thought something was wrong because 'it wasn't turning green' so they stop putting water in. The issue was I was adding water morning and night and they were only doing it at night so it took more water than I showed them.