• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Leveling stand

What is the proper way to level the stand?

If it is level from front to back and side to side, is that good? Or should I put the level on diagonal from corner to corner as well?

And when using shims, it obviously creates gaps down the length of the stand, so do all of those gaps need to be taken up with shims?

Anyone around to help me make sure this thing is level to avoid another disaster?

Thanks!!

I always do front to back and side to side.

And the gaps that the spacers do I like to fill those gaps up with shims. Just so that the stand doesn't have a long span with gaps.

level front to back and side to side should be good enough. I typically shim the entire length but small gaps are acceptable (2"-3"). I'd swing by by I've got a lot of stuff going on this week. Post some pics if you're worried about it.

So I'm still in the process of leveling my tank and stand. Question...I have to shim the back of the tank quite a bit and when I do it creates a gap between the stand and floor from where the shims are to the front of the stand where it contacts the ground again. What is the best way to fill in this space? It seems like a lot of space to use a ton of shims all the way down the length of the stand. FYI...I am using composite shims (samples of counter colors from home depot).

Are you talking about those square color chips? I have had those break over time. Home Depot sells packs of composite shims for like 2 bucks for a bunch of them. You want the def want the composite ones.

So I went and bought the composite shims and leveled the stand. The stand was pretty much level then we put the tank on. Now the stand is off by about a quarter-inch or so. What gives? Can I leave it like that?

Anyone?? I'd like to fill it up tomorrow to check for leaking, but don't want to fill it if the 1/4-inch is a problem.....

The stand was level before adding the tank, is the stand still level? What part of the tank are you leveling? Top trim is ok, but always check the bottom glass for level. Top trims can be a little off. Plumb the tank to confirm. Also esure your using a good and decent sized level.

a 1/4" seems like a lot. How are you shimming the stand? Shim the corners until the tank is level front to back and end to end, then fill in the gaps. I prefer to use wood shingles as shims because you have more control to make minor adjustments.

Is the tank sitting flush on the top of the stand? The top of the stand could be off. Did you build the stand?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Steve, can you post a few pics of your stand and tank and show us where you are getting readings where it's not level? Maybe a visual will help us figure out where the problem is.

From what I gathered so far though, stand is level but tank on the level stand isn't. That sounds like the top of the stand isn't completely flat... or the tank frame itself isn't completely level. Those plastic frames can be off slightly sometimes if not installed correctly.

Ok so here are a few of the best pics I could get of the level.

Left Side:

2012-12-12174524.jpg

Middle:

2012-12-12174608.jpg

Right Side:

2012-12-12174634.jpg

I don't have a level small enough to go from front to back so the level is angled a bit to fit it in, but it is flat on the bottom glass.

What do you all think? Is it safe to proceed?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Slap that level on your top edges....they are the important ones as far as the water level being even with the top edges. That bottom glass could have a little warp or bend in it.

Its close, but throw some shims under the stand and get it right.
Paul, trims can be way off. Always level the bottom glass and then check the sides for plumb. If your tempered bottom is warped by a 1/4 inch get a new tank. If it is rimless you can level the top, but always take the other 2 steps to confirm.
-Ethan

Its close, but throw some shims under the stand and get it right.
Paul, trims can be way off. Always level the bottom glass and then check the sides for plumb. If your tempered bottom is warped by a 1/4 inch get a new tank. If it is rimless you can level the top, but always take the other 2 steps to confirm.
-Ethan

The thing that is really irritating is that I already shimed the back but now the front is off. Doesn't make sense and trying to do this on my own is not easy.

Should I remove shims from the back?

The thing that is really irritating is that I already shimed the back but now the front is off. Doesn't make sense and trying to do this on my own is not easy.

Should I remove shims from the back?

I find it easier to do left to right first, then make small adjustments to get the front to back correct.

I wouldn't let the front to back be off by much but you can cheat a bit. Depends on how you are viewing the tank. When you are looking at the tank you notice left to right. That needs to be more on than front to back. Who will know if it is off a bit? Also when you start filling the tank after you get about an inch of water above the bottom frame you can see if the water is level in the tank.