• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lifereef skimmer reviews?

I am starting to look for a new skimmer and I read some good things about Lifereef, using tried and true technology. Does (or has) anyone here currently run one and care to share experiences? People seem pretty please with them and I think there is something to a design which hasn't changed in years. The "it just works" mentality.

Nope not a Beckett skimmer. Uses a traditional venturi or a mazzei. Doesn't seem to need a high pressure pump. I was really thinking about getting one but chickened out because it would have to be run external in my setup. They do seem to get pretty good reviews.

They do have a internal option, it's buried in the detail on the web page. I read 1 person running it with a Jaebo.

So a few weeks ago, I called LifeReef. It's basically the owner Jeff to picks up the phone. I spent about 45 mins talking to him about skimmers and probably another 20 on other things such as sumps, etc... He is very old school, his web site is old and doesn't do him justice, but as you read through the information a lot makes sense. I was pretty impressed, I put an order for a 30" skimmer with a mag 12 pump. The skimmer can use any pump as long as the volume of water is enough, people have run it with externals, internals, DC's. Part of the charm was that you can use any pump. After my ordeal with SWC and trying to find parts and the pump when mine broke i was convinced a non-specific pump was the way to go. If I remember correctly, I had to order a pump from Canada, for close to $100 for what was the equivalent of a $50 pump. All his skimmers can be run internal or external. I will be running it internal.

I receive a massive box today and in it was the skimmer:

The unwrapping:

And the final build w/o the pump:

The build quality is excellent, but I won't be able to get this wet for quite awhile. I will report on it on my new tank build thread.