• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

light question

i am rehabbing a old 45 gallon high tank to a reef tank. This tank is a tall tank. Probably 24" high. How much light do I need. I'm thinking a MH / T5 combo. How many watts on the MH do I need, 150, 250? I want no light limitations on what i can put in here when done. But then again, not crazy about spending 700 on a light for a small tank....thoughts?? I'm thinkin i need the 250 but have no experience w/ MH

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
At 24" deep you would need to go with the 250w especially if you are thinking of going with sps.

Bob

You don't have to run 250's on a 24" deep tank I run 175's on my 120 with no problems (8 clams and mostly SPS) will 250's be better, yes, but on a 45 Gallon you have to consider coast + heat + electric use. If none are a issue go with the 250's. If heat and cost is, then consider the 150DE/175SE's, to save money consider building/getting a canopy and doing retro's insted of buying a fixture.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Retros are a particularly good idea if you're considering a future upgrade, as the pieces will be useful down the road.