• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting advice please!

What I have:

Odyssea 36" 406W Metal Halide System Advance Plus

Fixture Configuration:

1x External Quick Connect 250W Electronic HQI Metal Halide Ballast
2x Internal Twin Output T5 Electronic Ballast
4x Power Switch on Fixture (2 for T5, 1 for LED, and 1 for Cooling Fan)
1x Power Switch on each HQI Ballast
2x Power Cord (1 for HQI and 1 for T5)
Non-Corrosive Powder Coated Aluminum Housing
1x Built In Heavy Duty Cooling Fan
Glass Cover for HQI
Acrylic Lens for T5
Highly Polished Reflector
Set of Mounting Leg
FREE ITEMS w/ Metal Halide System Purchase

1x Odyssea 250W DE HQI Bulb 15000K

4x Odyssea 39W T5 High Output Bulb Actinic Blue

4x Dual Bluemoon LED

My issue/question -

It seems like ally corals hate the halide. I was doing 8 hours T5 and 4 hours of halide until my halide burnt out.

My questions are... Should I change the bulb configuration? Does my tank need some white light? Everything is thriving now with just the T5 but I'm told by many that it needs white lights too.

Bottom line:

Should I change any of these bulbs to something else?

How long would you suggest each of the bulbs be on for?

Note: my tank is a 40 Gal breeder that has a depth of 1.5 feet from where the lights are.

Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I'm no lighting expert by any means, but that seems like overkill. I'm an LED guy myself so I can't comment on the other fixture, but your tank seems very shallow to run all those lights. <<•••IMO

R your corals bleaching when the MH's were on?

Trio, my leathers were never opening up.

I also had a purple favia that's neon green and purple and it was more like brown and light green. Also my zoas weren't completely opening.

With just the T5 everything is opening up and I see lots of growth, I just don't have any white lights which people tell me is an issue.

I turn on the halide for pics and too watch my tank sometimes (10-15 min max)

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Trio, my leathers were never opening up.

I also had a purple favia that's neon green and purple and it was more like brown and light green. Also my zoas weren't completely opening.

With just the T5 everything is opening up and I see lots of growth, I just don't have any white lights which people tell me is an issue.

I turn on the halide for pics and too watch my tank sometimes (10-15 min max)

Your saying your corals are doing well and growing under just T5s? or are they having issues? I wouldn't say you need "white" light but I would say you need full spectrum (red, blue, green, etc...)

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Try moving the leathers and zoas and whatever else is not fully opening up to a shaded area, to see if they just don't like the light

Also how new are your bulbs?

Under T5 alone (Actinic) all my corals are doing great. No issues at all and lots of growth.

They are about 6 months old now. I was thinking of replacing one or two and putting something other than actinic bulbs.

My issues where when I also used the halide. But without the halide I have no white light.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
well I would assume if your corals are growing and looking good under just your T5s then I personally would stick with just the T5s. Now I'm not expert and like @trio91 I use LEDs only but by the sound of it your providing too much light or too high amount of light to your corals.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I agree it's probably too much light for a small tank. If you just go with the t5 The combo I would suggest would be 3 blue+ and 1 purple+ or if you want a bit less blue 2 blue+, 1 purple+ and 1 coral+.

I agree it's probably too much light for a small tank. If you just go with the t5 The combo I would suggest would be 3 blue+ and 1 purple+ or if you want a bit less blue 2 blue+, 1 purple+ and 1 coral+.

I might play around with that last combo. I guess if they are growing them I'm good haha