• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting crisis - looking for an inexpensive LED options in a time/ budget crunch

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I have a DIY LED rig that is trying to tell me to put it out to pasture. Only 1 of the 4 drivers is currently working (blues, green/red, and moon all bit it). A mix of mostly warm and a couple cool whites seem to be enough to keep what I have in there alive but I need a longer term solution. As is always the way it seems, budget isn‘t there for a high end option, especially right after the holiday. I have mostly LPS, leathers a s zoas and automation that may be older than the Space Shuttle program (feels that way anyway) all for a 48” 90g tank. I let the tank run pretty much as it was set up when my kids’ schedule took over my life so I’m totally out of the loop for about 5 years. Again, not looking for anything fancy. Dimming if it will hold settings without power so I can control with my old reef-keeper.
thanks for any suggestion, thoughts, ideas.
-Dave.

If your looking for temp solution. Or budget. I know that LED is modern, fancy and can be controllable. But fact is, T5 is tried true and works very very well for even some high end corals. Plus you can mix the two at a later date when budget allows. In addition to that. Bulb choices are very good and at 48 inch it’s just about the most popular and available size there is. I have Kessil LED over my system. But also use T5 to supplement durning the mid day because thy have a much better complete blanket covering of light and reduce shadows compared to led. I considers T5 the gold standard (as do many professionals and experienced aquarist) LED Is a really sweet finishing piece for color and spectrum and are rapidly replacing fluorescent. There adjustable color spectrum and fancy controllability with long life and shimmer is hard to resist. But the very thing that attracts people to them is there very problem. Most people adjust color and intensity to what that they like, As they look at it. Don’t use a PAR meter and in all likelihood are spending high dollar and absolutely not giving the coral the correct or at least optimal spectrum.
just my two cents. And there is a dozen ways to light a tank. All of which can, have been and will continue to be successful. But on a budget. With near guarantied results that you can trust because there has been more success for a longer time than any other light source available at this point. Do yourself a favor. Look for T5 options and phase in LED as time and budget allows.

Cant beat black box led for the price they range from $80 to $130. I have viparspectra leds got them off ebay for $100. They work very well nothing fancy but get the job done. They have a built in controller so you dont need to hook them up to your reef keeper.

Last edited:

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
On a 90 gallon tank I would buy viparspectral
They are currently on sale on amazon.
These lights are capable of growing anything.
I wouldn’t do t5 the cost of the bulbs and changing them every 6 months is not worth it
Also the electricity that you would need to power the t5 doesn’t make sense.

VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control Dimmable 165W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum for Grow Coral Reef Marine Fish Tank LPS/SPS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SHR6HW1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dJtcEbGNV14DF

On a 90 gallon tank I would buy viparspectral
They are currently on sale on amazon.
These lights are capable of growing anything.
I wouldn’t do t5 the cost of the bulbs and changing them every 6 months is not worth it
Also the electricity that you would need to power the t5 doesn’t make sense.

VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control Dimmable 165W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum for Grow Coral Reef Marine Fish Tank LPS/SPS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SHR6HW1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dJtcEbGNV14DF
Understand what you are saying. Especially monthly cost. However respectfully Slightly disagree.
the spectrum on T5. Is by far the most tested and complete coverage of any man made light source. It’s lack of minimal shadowing is a plus plus. And the 6 month bulb change has been proven in the last year to be false. Most people in the know stager change bulbs and will go as long as 1 year to 18 months with only a 10 percent loss in intensity. And only a small loss in spectrum. But most importantly. The far majority of led user and yes I am one and l love them. Absolutely set them way out of spectrum. Often to the detriment of the coral. Because it looks good to them. And and most LED’s can be and are set way to intense or without use of a PAR meter (which are becoming more available) I would guess nearly every one without one, sets there lights way to intense. The human eye is just about incapable of seeing intensity in the blue spectrum. Your eyes white balance simply adjust to the change. Same as needing a filter to take photos but your eyes don’t.
and finally. As far as cost... A few four foot bulbs over a tank arn’t even in the same universe as the four kessils on my tank. So although cost is absolutely a factor. It’s not like we are talking about the electricity cost of a shop with dozens and dozens of lights.
again. Please. Seriously not being a jerk here. I LOVE LED. And it IS the FUTURE and probably already is now. It just bothers me that as fantastic as T5 are based on simplicity for the user to have success. And how easy it is to screw. What can be unbelievably expensive LEDs (yes there are less expensive options). I’d like more people to not simply dismiss them as old school expensive relics.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
No the t5 bulbs need to be replaced and it loses a lot more than 10%.
Led are not the future they are here now and in the long run it’s really cheap to run.
In NJ we pay a lot for electricity so anytime we can save money in the long run it’s a good idea.
A lot of stores and online shops hate LEDs.
There is no money in them for the LFS or BRS. Margins on kessil / Radion are very small. T5 on the other hand are a huge money maker for them. The users of T5 have to come back to the store and buy bulbs. There is huge margins on t5 bulbs.
i Don’t fall for all the hype and marketing a T5 for the home is $10 t5 for plants $20
T5 lights for aquarium $399 lol

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
T5 fixture can be as much as an Led one. I do like T5 better even though I do have an Led fixture. I used to buy my T5 bulbs in bulk online and replaced them after about 18 months to 2 years. I like Led cause I'm lazy in bulb replacements.

Just did math on changing 8 - 48 inch T5 bulbils. On a yearly schedule much more often then Necessary. And if I did that for 10 years. Cost is still less than just the cost to purchase 4 Kesils that sit on my tank (that I love) Two of the kessils failed in less than three months ( they did replace them ). Bla bla bla bla. Yes I agree. T5 cost more to run. But like all the other info. Often greatly exaggerated. I’m simply pointing out. That T5s are a very viable solution. And are much simpler for the average reefer to have success. And yes I also agree LED is awesome. But if not utilized properly. They can be a very expensive problem. While T5 is just difficult to screw up.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I am sorry for hijacking this tread lol poor guy just wanted to buy some lights lol

Just did math on changing 8 - 48 inch T5 bulbils. On a yearly schedule much more often then Necessary. And if I did that for 10 years. Cost is still less than just the cost to purchase 4 Kesils that sit on my tank (that I love) Two of the kessils failed in less than three months ( they did replace them ). Bla bla bla bla. Yes I agree. T5 cost more to run. But like all the other info. Often greatly exaggerated. I’m simply pointing out. That T5s are a very viable solution. And are much simpler for the average reefer to have success. And yes I also agree LED is awesome. But if not utilized properly. They can be a very expensive problem. While T5 is just difficult to screw up.

It’s about $20 - $25~ For t5 bulbs
Most basic fixtures are 4 bulbs so that $80 -$100
plus

I'll assume you run the light for 10 hours a day.

T5: 10 hours x .4kW = 4kWh/day
LED: 10 hours x .2kW = 2kWh/day

The national average is $0.12/kWh, so...

T5 is $0.48 per day
LED is $0.24 per day

This doesn't account for additional heat you'd have to remove with your air conditioner if you use t5.

Now bulbs... Let's say they are $10 each and need to be replaced twice a year. So that's $160/ year with the fixture I use in the example. The cost of the bulbs is then $0.44/day.

Now we can total it:
T5 $27.98/month
LED $7.30/month

Residential electricity rates in New Jersey average 15.78¢/kWh, which ranks the state 7th in the nation. The average residential electricity rate of 15.78¢/kWh in NJ is 32.83% greater than the national average residential rate of 11.88¢/kWh.

So that number is even higher in for us

Last edited:
Lol. As stated each time. Absolutely agree that’s why I use LED and said it cost more to run a T5 however Divide by four. Video showed every two years. Not twice a year. Tested not guessed. (Part of the reefing myth) point was never monthly cost. As much as how expensive a high end LED solutions initial cost can be. And yet how easy it is to screw it up. And to point out the overwhelming benefit to the fixed spectrum and intensity of a T5.
Truly the best part of the forum is that we can chat about these things and have open dialog. Don’t want you think I am anything but agreeing. LED is awesome. But for the average reefer who keeps a tank for one maybe two years. They will never recoup the initial cost of good LEDs. Compared to T5. And will likely use the LED to the corals detriment not benefits.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I love this back and forth. I think everyone Gaines from information.
I feel bad for the original post.
he just wanted some inform on lights lol.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
right now, since you have mostly LPS, you can get away with cheap lights. once you go more sps and harder to keep corals, I would go with better LEDs and or additonal T5s. my 50g has 4 36" T5s in an aquatic life fixture along with 2 kessil 360we. EVERYTHING grew. the T5s were a huge help with supplemental lighting. just my $0.02<

right now, since you have mostly LPS, you can get away with cheap lights. once you go more sps and harder to keep corals, I would go with better LEDs and or additonal T5s. my 50g has 4 36" T5s in an aquatic life fixture along with 2 kessil 360we. EVERYTHING grew. the T5s were a huge help with supplemental lighting. just my $0.02<
I have same setup. On 60” aquatic life with four kessils. Very nice corveage. If you have access to a par meter. You could light the tank with candles. (Wouldn’t that be fun hahaha). Now don’t get me started on flow. :dance:

I love the T5 setups. I ended up getting a fixture for $35 used and bought new bulbs for it. I replace about 12-14 months apart. BRS did a study on the bulbs and the 6 month bulb change has been proven to be a myth. I like the look of a T5 fixture compared to the very blue color that everyone runs with LED. Looks like a tank filled with Windex. Give those T5s a chance.

Roy