• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting for new 180g

I posted this on RC but got limited replies. In a few months, I will be upgrading from mya 5ft 120g SPS reef to an AGA 6ft 180g reef. On my existing 5 footer, I have two 250W, 14K IceCap SE MH on IceCap Ballasts and two 48" 110W Super Actinic VHO's. I've tried many bulb combinations over the life of this tank, an I really like the way the tank looks now. I wanted advice on what to do with the 180g. My first thought was to go with three 250W, 14K IceCap SE MH on IceCap Ballasts. Then I'm not sure what to do, should I go with the VHO Super Actinics like I have now? If so, how many bulbs? I also have some 5ft T5 bulbs that I have never used. Should I use those instead of the VHO's or in addition to them? I'm going to keep mostly SPS and a clam or two. Then there's the reflector. I have PFO reflectors now. Even though some folks have told me that they're not the best reflector, they give me the look of the tank that I want. Whether they're helping the corals, I don't know. I've seen Luminarc and LumenBright reflectors...are those better? Please give me your thoughts and if you have a 180 SPS tank, please share your lighting system.

Thanks

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you like what you have now then just add the third light/bulb and be happy. The lumenarcs are some hefty light pushers. Your corals will light shock and your algae bloom like mad if you don't govern that implementation, should you decide to change (just ask Billy what happened when he switched to lumenarcs). If you like what you have now replace it with longer (we're using 5' vhos on our 6' tank with 3 ice cap pendants/bulbs).

Nah, go for 6 six foot VHO's and skip the halides like I did. 8)

Seriously, I'm with Phyl. If you like what you got, stick with it.

The actinics are for enhancing the color so 5' will be fine, but 6' should fit nicely.

I think that's what I'll do. (3) 250W, 14K MH w/ (2) 5' Super Actinic VHO's. I'll stick with the PFO reflector.