• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting upgrade. To much or okay?

I just upgraded my lighting from being at a 1.5 watts per gallon to 2.5 watts per gallon. I'm just wondering if this will cause problems for any of my corals expecially my LPS as I just started getting into them. What I'm conserned about is my plate, duncan, and acans. They are either on the sand bed or on a low rock. Its a 135 gal w/ 6 bulb T5 fixture with 1/2 10k and half atinic. Just seeing if I should put them in a corner with some mesh to help block some of the light or if they will be fine if not better with the lights.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The watts per gallon rule kind of fell by the wayside a few years ago. The new number everyone uses is PAR. Under t5s you should have no problem with the LPS, in fact they will probably thrive under it. Plates should be on your sand bed anyways so it should be fine, you can shade it under some rock if you are worried. Duncans and acans should also be fine down on your sandbed at first but if you want to move them onto your rocks after a while they will do well.

What bulbs do you have? The majority of people on here use ATI bulbs with a few others mixed in because they ahve the best par ratings.

What bulbs do you have? The majority of people on here use ATI bulbs with a few others mixed in because they ahve the best par ratings.

I just got coral life t5ho bulbs. Thats all they had at my lfs(brandwise) for the size and watts I needed.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Aquatic Obsessions should be pretty close to you and I know they carry the ATI t5 bulbs. There are plenty of online places that carry them as well and I am sure some other sponsors. I just know AO because i was there yesterday and they have the 36 inch bulbs.

I would look at 3 blue plus, 1 purple plus, 2 aquablue special (or the new coral plus bulbs if they have them). The great thing about a 6 bulb fixture is that you can get a really great color combination to your liking. Good luck.

Aquatic Obsessions should be pretty close to you and I know they carry the ATI t5 bulbs. There are plenty of online places that carry them as well and I am sure some other sponsors. I just know AO because i was there yesterday and they have the 36 inch bulbs. QUOTE]

I only have a 48" fixture 4" above the water that light half my house, not a 72". Did you happen to see if they had the larger size? Also thanks for telling me about Aquatic Obsessions. All I knew of locally is Aquarium Center or JB fish (witch is REAL small).

Edit: I'm in SNJ, Aquatic Obsessions is a 90+ min drive:eek:. Maybe I'll make the trip one day.

Last edited:

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You can call over and ask but I believe they had the 48 inch bulbs.

Another thought would be to get into the Bulk Reef Supply group buy AJ has going on, and order from them. With that many bulbs you would probably not have to pay shipping. That will probably be the cheapest route. Or Fish Factory in Bristol,PA has them, or at least they did when I was last there. That might be a bit closer for you.

I just checked BRS. Im at work and very bored. If you have perferred status it would cost $121 for 3 Blue+,1 Purple+, and 2 Coral + bulbs. Less if you wait for the group buy. More if you want the KZ purple instead of ATI purple.

Aquatic Obsessions should be pretty close to you and I know they carry the ATI t5 bulbs. There are plenty of online places that carry them as well and I am sure some other sponsors. I just know AO because i was there yesterday and they have the 36 inch bulbs. QUOTE]

I only have a 48" fixture 4" above the water that light half my house, not a 72". Did you happen to see if they had the larger size? Also thanks for telling me about Aquatic Obsessions. All I knew of locally is Aquarium Center or JB fish (witch is REAL small).

Edit: I'm in SNJ, Aquatic Obsessions is a 90+ min drive:eek:. Maybe I'll make the trip one day.

Your signature says your in Monroe township that's why they suggested AO...

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Well if you have some free time take a drive, they are worth it (as all are sponsors are). Tell them mnat sent you and you will get nothing.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
If he is in monroe, NJ then AO is 30 minutes for him.

Can you confirm where you are located? We are talking about aquatic obsessions and not Absolutely fish...

Sunny - also in Monore, NJ .....

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sunny - also in Monore, NJ .....

Sunny read above posts…..I hate to tell you, but there is more than one Monroe Twp. in New Jersey.

There is a second Monroe in the nether region of the State….also know as South Jersey. It is located in Gloucester County.

So what I'm gathering is the north is like the Jersey Shore :p and CoralLife Bulbs are no good? Now are they atleast good for now as I just put $120 out on all these bulbs. Also, why throw in just one purple in the mix?

Also Changed Location. ;)

The north is more like Canada. Nobody really cares about them. The shore Should be another state or at least a borough of NY.
I believe The purple is more for look as it adds a bit more of the spectrum that the others don't reach. As for growth the purple does not have much to offer.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Here is a good rundown of PAR:

http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/ca...r-and-reef-aquarium-lighting-what-is-par.html

We are not saying the coralvue bulbs are terrible, it is just the ATI bulbs are better. You don't have to throw them out but when you are looking to replace them (6-12 months depending on how you feel about it) look to the ATI bulbs.

The purple bulbs as someone said above bring out different colors on the fish and corals that blue and actinic bulbs cannot. They provide a nice little pop but you don't want to overdue it with them.