• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

lighting

i just have a question about t5 lighting. i know for most lights the more watts per gallon the better, is it the same for t5? i know t5 is a stronger spectrum. my tank is a 37 gallon and i have a 65w pc light on there and i just added a dual t5 fixture with each bulb is approx 18watts. so that sufficient to run some easy corals like zooas, mushrooms and frogspawn

Personally, I'd consider the lighting on the low side, but ok for what you want to keep. I'd try a few zoos and mushrooms and see how they do. I think they will be ok. If not, then you'll need to upgrade the entire lighting system.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Not sure which T5s your looking at. But Over driven is the way to go if you the high output. I don't think that the 18 watts are going to cut it.

yeah i know the lighting is on the low side i was just wondering how low. and i got the t5 for free from my cousin who is a owner of the LFS near me. so i figured anything was an upgrade from my 65w PC i had already had on there. i had really planned on keeping the tank fish only but i have always had corals so its hard to try and keep myself away. moneys tight otherwise i would have already put a MH system on tank

hey man.. you should look into some other forums and see if you can find a MH retro cheap. i just saw someone on this forum selling "a 30"L MH fixture for sale. It has 2 175w mogul bulbs and 2 VHO and reflector.
Asking $75." with that you could keep anything you want.. in most case its tough to find a good deal on MH but just be patience and you will find one.

yeah.. those MH 175w ballasts for 25 bucks are a steal.. all you would have to do is get some mogal sockets, bulbs and reflectors and you would be good. you could prolly get all that stuff on reefcentral for like 70 bucks