• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

LIGHTING

N

njstillwell

OK HERE IT IS.. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF MY OUTER ORBIT THAT HAS 2-150 HALIDES AND 2 96 WATT PC'S AND A 4 BULB T-5 WAS SUUFICENT ENOUGH FOR MY HARD CORALS THERE NOT DYING NOR GROWING LIKE A WEED THEIR COLORS ARE ALL THERE AND NOTHING SEEMS TO BE GOING CRAZY. IF ITS NOT ENOUGH DOES ANYONE HAVE GOOD IDEAS FOR ME THE TANK IS 4x2x2 120 gallons, please help me out here. thanks

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How far off the tank are the lights? How far from the light are the corals? 150's are a little on the weak side for a 2 foot deep tank. Most folks use 250's on that size tank.

What wattage and spectrum are the T5's?

As you can tell it is enough that the corals survive but may not be enough to make them thrive.

Also what are your parameters like? They could have a lot to due with why the corals aren't growing.

N

njstillwell

both units are about 4 inches off the top of the tank paramaters are all perfect the bulbs i just reordered for 50.00$ current 14k 150 watts the p.c. are 96 watt 460's and the t-5s are 54 watts 2 blues and 2 whites giving the tank a total of 708 watts but the corals are all mid to high in the tank right under the 150 watt bulbs so if this cant due then i would sell the unit and look for a 400x 2 metal halide system that i can maybe trade both units for or down sizing the tank to maybe a 100 or 90 gallon system what do you think.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
With the corals being high in the tank I would think that light would be enough.

Lets see what some others have to say.

May I ask a stupid question?

Why do you want to have MH, PC, and T5 lighting on the tank?

Besides the added complexity of replacing all those bulbs and plugs, timers etc. - I would just imagine it to look rather awkward - unless it's all hidden in a canopy.

Why not just go MH/T5? or pure T5?

N

njstillwell

BECAUSE I HAD A T-5 SYSTEM FIRST ON MY 55 AND THEN UPGRADED TO A 120 DIDNT HAVE THE LIGHTING ON IT AND GOT A DEAL ON A OUTER ORBIT SYSTEM SO I SAID WHY NOT RUN BOTH TILL EITHER ONE GOES AND THEN SELL THEM TO MAKE MONEY AND BUY A HIGH POWERED SYSTEM IF ANYONE WANTED TO BUY THEM BOTH FOR 900 TOTAL ON BOTH UNITS WORKS FOR ME .

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Easy with the caps lock there. lol

What T5 light do yo have? Does it have individual reflectors? What bulbs are you running in the T5? You could always change the 2 T5 actinics for 2 more daylight bulbs to give you more usable light.

if that's the case and your budget allows for it - I'd look to move the two pieces of lighting and get one piece that you want to have - whether that is 250wMH or 400wMh or just a bank of T5s.

N

njstillwell

Thanks for all your suggestions but i got it figured out now thanks alot...

my tank is similar to yours except mine is 6ft long, 2ft high, 2ft wide...i orginally had 3 150 watt metal halides and 4 96 watt power compact actnics...i changed the actnics to dual actnics..which have both blue 460 and 420 nm i think..(not sure if this helps with growth but does make the tank look nicer) and i upgraded to 250 watt metal halides...i gotta say upgrading from the 150 watt to the 250 watt made a HUGE difference..everything began growing alot quicker..i have zoos spreading all over the place and i was able to move all my clams to the sand bed and they are doing awesome. if your tank is 4ft long orbit offers a sick all in one unit with 2 250 watt metal halides and t-5 for actnics...my dad has this unit and its great.it sounds like it would be perfect for your tank and you can sell your other two fixtures.