• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Little Giant Pump

What do you guys think of Little Giant Pumps?
Are they loud?
Please let me know, as I am looking into one that is for sale.

Thanks ;D

I had two a long time ago and they were loud for me, not sure if times have changed.

Switched over to a PanWorld and has done me well for three years running.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Never had Little Giant but my pan world is load as hell. I have two sequence dart pumps and they are almost silent. I wonder if its differnt for the different models.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had a Little Giant running my Calcium Reactor. It was loud and ran HOT.

Thanks guys..... It sounds like I should pass on it...... There are sooooooo many pumps. what ones are the most popular ones in the hobby??

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
yuyiboy said:
What ones are the most popular ones in the hobby??

Depends on your application and size of your tank. I’m running a Danner Mag Drive 9.5 on a 48 gallon display. No pump noise…put plenty of water-movement noise. This would NOT work on a 180+ gallon tank with big sump / refugium…you probably would be using some external pump, that I know nothing about. The big tank people can talk about these things.

Thanks redfish I have heard a lot of good things about those pumps. I'm looking for one for a 45 gal. I'm going to be setting up.
Can they be used in sump?

never mind redfish I just looked them up, I have seen them before but couldn't remember if it was submersible.
They seem to have great prices for a Mag pump.

1200+ GPH for under $200 wow!! I would have to ball valve it to almost close for my 45 LOL

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They are submersible and come in different flow ratings....the Mag 9.5 pushes 950 gallons an hour at zero head height (I think...or at some fixed head height).  The 1200 gph mag is listed as Mag 12.  Pretty straight forward.  Sounds like you have a similar size display tank.  I have a 48 gallon and use the 9.5 that is tee'd off to relieve some volume of water back to the sump.  I would suggest the 9.5 pump for your 45 as well.  What kind of overflow do you have to the sump/refugium...HOB overflow or internal overflow...and what is its rating? My guess would be 600 gph.

yea I'd do the mag too,I have them on my tanks,on my 90 I have a mag 12,and you can upgrade the flow if you need to by getting a mag 18 imp..(thanks John 4 the info) I have a mag 9 on the 55..reliable if of course you do yr pump maint on them

redfishbluefish said:
They are submersible and come in different flow ratings....the Mag 9.5 pushes 950 gallons an hour at zero head height (I think...or at some fixed head height). The 1200 gph mag is listed as Mag 12. Pretty straight forward. Sounds like you have a similar size display tank. I have a 48 gallon and use the 9.5 that is tee'd off to relieve some volume of water back to the sump. I would suggest the 9.5 pump for your 45 as well. What kind of overflow do you have to the sump/refugium...HOB overflow or internal overflow...and what is its rating? My guess would be 600 gph.
I'm staring the "budget build" for my 45 and will be doing a calfo "coast to coast" overflow I think. The tank only has one hole and would like to keep it that way. did you T the overflow to go back to the tank??
thanks for the help.

shipwrecked said:
yea I'd do the mag too,I have them on my tanks,on my 90 I have a mag 12,and you can upgrade the flow if you need to by getting a mag 18 imp..(thanks John 4 the info) I have a mag 9 on the 55..reliable if of course you do yr pump maint on them

There is no way that I need something that powerful but I can Ball valve and T off things so that I can use that pump for the future upgrades..... they happen from what they tell me ;D