• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

little help. high mg and ca.

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I added some dry rock. I later noticed my calcium and magnesium levels increased to 500 and 1600 respectively. Last week I developed ich so I did a 20% water change and tested today.

Everything is where it needs to be except nitrate is 30, calcium is 550 and magnesium is 1600.

Is the rock still having an impact? I'm using red sea coral pro salt. It already stinks to have ich, but I don't want to lose my coral to high mg or ca.

Thoughts?

Is this a new setup. If so how long has it been established. Also what test kits are you using

You will have to give as many details as possible for any of us to lend a helping hand so we have a better understanding of your setup. Tank volume , sump or no sump , lighting , pumps , inhabitants , and so on

Also what is your Alk at.
Adding rock would not bring up calcium and magnesium I think it was just a coincidence. The Ich was possibly kicked off by whatever stress the fish may have gone through during the rock adding time

Are you sure of your test accuracy/process? What is your SG? What are you using to measure it with? If you're using a swing arm type hydrometer, it may be off causing you to add too much salt mix, and by extension too much Ca, Mg, etc., leading to these elevated readings. I would suggest using a properly calibrated refractometer, using a 35ppt calibration solution for best results, or other calibrated metering device.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Your high calc and mag numbers should not be an issue. And, as mentioned, it didn't come from the addition of the rock.

What salt are you using? Some salt formulations have high alk, calc and/or mag concentrations. Also, are you dosing anything?

Red sea coral pro skills be 470 and 1400 at 1.026. So I would agree with either bad test kit reading, or your salinity is to high. As stated earlier your levels won't hurt anything.

Thank you all that responded. I'm using a red sea refractometer calibrated monthly by fluid. My DKH is 12 up from 8.5 over the past month. I'm using red sea coral pro.

With the mag, cal, and all all elevated like that, I'd put my money on the salt. Probably wasn't mixed up well in the bucket. Or it's just plain high. Coral pro is pretty elevated to begin with.

Have you tested your mixed water? Make sure it's where it should be. If it is ok before using it for a water change, then you can probably rule it out. Are you dosing anything or using any additives?