• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Live Rock Construction

So I've got my hands on some dead live rock. It is all dry. I have sometime in my hands before setting up my FOWLR. I want to construct some pillars and arches with these rocks. I have pieces that when placed together can make some really nice pillars. I have some questions in regards to constructing pillars.

I was thinking I could drill some holes in the rocks where two pieces will meet and place some PVC pieces and then glue with silicone. Am I on the right track or is there a better method? Also, what would be the best drill bit to use for drilling holes into live rock?

All advice and tips greatly appreaciated!

Tito

that's exactly what I did. Made pillars 24" tall just drilling a 7/8' with masonry bit, sliding down 3/4' PVC then connected them with epoxy and used rubble over the epoxy too make it look natural. I used 12" 3/4' masonry bit, think I paid $12.00 at depot. Did break a couple pieces of rock drilling just used them to make the connections more natural looking. I did in a customers tank, had two pillars with a couple of shelves for corals the an arch made basically the same. It came out real good looking with a lot of open space for fish to swim. Everything is real sturdy as well.