• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Live Rock - Help

I am upgrading my 75 gal reef tank to a 90 gal reef tank and purchases an additional 60 pounds on live rock. Unknown source!!! Apparently used in same tank. Obviously I do not want to risk contaminating my existing rock. Due to my impatience I do not want to wait to culture the rock. Is there some way to destroy everything in the rock in a weeks time. I would like to make the transition next weekend.

Thanks everybody

FYI, I stopped my bleaching in the coral:emmersed:

If it came from a system and has consistently been submerged, just put it in you tank. If it's been out of water for a while then cure it, it may cure through in a week.

You could clean it, which would entail bleaching overnight to sanitize it, and remove any unwanted algea and then etch it in a vinegar/water bath to help remove any PO4 that may exist in the outer layers of the rock. If you work at it that should take about three days. After that I would let it sit in some freshly made SW for another four or five days, and check for PO4. You'll be left with dead, but clean rock.

Live rock has two functions - one is to establish filtration, and the other is to import "life" and diversity to the system. IMO it doesn't make sense to kill off the rock, but to each their own.

I agree, unless the rock is infested with nuisance algae, hydroids or aptasia why kill it? I would just put it in a container of fresh SW for a day or two to see if it cycles and then add it to my tank.

I agree, unless the rock is infested with nuisance algae, hydroids or aptasia why kill it? I would just put it in a container of fresh SW for a day or two to see if it cycles and then add it to my tank.

+1 as long as it is decent rock and not leaching phos and not overrun by algae or aipstasia I would make sure it cycles (if it even needs to) then put it in. It would be a shame to lose all the good life on the rock just to kill the bad stuff that might not wen be there.

My .02 cents :)

+1 as long as it is decent rock and not leaching phos and not overrun by algae or aipstasia I would make sure it cycles (if it even needs to) then put it in. It would be a shame to lose all the good life on the rock just to kill the bad stuff that might not wen be there.

My .02 cents :)

I am upgrading my 75 gal reef tank to a 90 gal reef tank and purchases an additional 60 pounds on live rock. Unknown source!!! Apparently used in same tank. Obviously I do not want to risk contaminating my existing rock. Due to my impatience I do not want to wait to culture the rock. Is there some way to destroy everything in the rock in a weeks time. I would like to make the transition next weekend.

Thanks everybody

FYI, I stopped my bleaching in the coral:emmersed:

I took the advice and put in my 30 gal tank with fresh seawater, check the Phos readings and they were through the roof. Are water changes the suggested path or do I need to do more?

E-baer can you send me a picture of the Kenya tree covered rock? I am thinking I will have extra and will be willing to trade