• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Live sand/ live rock

Hi guy I want to start to collect live rock and live sand I would like base rock with some live so I don't spend a fortune on it. Also I would like to start with regular sand and make it all live if possible what sand do I use. I have a Rubbermade tub I would like to start these two in. How do I go about it and what will I need.

We used be able to get cheap sand (play sand) from Home Depot, but it was a few years ago. It's from Carribean.

Sean

Lord Viper said:
Play sand is Ok Just rinse it well I guess

No, not any play sand. You do not want silicate based. The one used to be in Home depot is called Southdown Tropical Play Sand.

Sean

I just bought sand, got the almost universal opionion that you are going to invest a lot in a tank do it right. Drs Foster is the cheapest (when you count shipping I think) I bought some live and some dry. Sundown was the argonite based playground sand but it is pretty much impossible to find now. Someone was selling some here once upon a time. There was a post also about a new argonite based sand at Lowes but no real information on it. You might also find someone here who is selling sand or in Manhattan.

Well I thats fine but I don't want to purchase that much live sand if I can get a base and add some likve to that and make it all live. Im cheap for christ sakes. I don't mind waiting. for it all to be live save a dollar here I can spend it there is my Opinion. With the rock I can do the same right. do I need a light for the rock. or just a filter and water movement.

Yeah sure I bought one bag of live 4 bags of dry sand....rock you can buy dry and cure it yourself....Marco Rocks is going to be at the frag swap...if you have the inclination because it is dry it costs less...though you don't get all the live goodies. Fellow reefers are great source of LR...heater and pump will keep your rock live though lights will keep the coraline algae going.