• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Local Inhabitants

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
No license or permit is needed to collect. I just use my seines and some fine mesh dip nets near the grass beds in shallow waters. I am usually in the waters on most weekends in the summer time.

I think the only limitation is the size of net. I'm pretty sure its 4ft max for throw nets and 6ft max for seines nets. Atleast thats what it is for FW.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think the only limitation is the size of net. I'm pretty sure its 4ft max for throw nets and 6ft max for seines nets. Atleast thats what it is for FW.

From Division of Fish & game website: Seine
Not over 50 feet long in ponds and lakes over 100 acres; in all other waters not over
30 feet in length.
Exception: In trout-stocked waters and special regulation trout areas a seine may not
be more than 10 feet in length and 4 feet in depth.

I believe for SW use it is still 50' max length. I usually us a 12-15' as anything longer than that is a huge PITA to drag.

From Division of Fish & game website: Seine
Not over 50 feet long in ponds and lakes over 100 acres; in all other waters not over
30 feet in length.
Exception: In trout-stocked waters and special regulation trout areas a seine may not
be more than 10 feet in length and 4 feet in depth.

I believe for SW use it is still 50' max length. I usually us a 12-15' as anything longer than that is a huge PITA to drag.

Scoop a whole bay at once

Dang, I would love to find some angels or butterfly's and put them in my tank. Probably going to go fowlr for the time being so that would be sweet lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

The one big thing you guys need to be aware when collecting native species of fish/inverts from our waters, they are temperate species and keeping them at the elevated reef tank temperatures greatly reduces their lifespan and puts them at a higher risk for bacterial infections.

When collecting the tropicals in late summer this isn't an issue as they will die off when the water temps drop anyway.

@Matt - i know h.erectus is off these waters (heck i've caught them out of the hudson 15 yrs ago), but correct me here as I thought the risk with attempting capture of sea horses is that wild-caught horses:

a) are very difficult to convince to eat anything but live food
b) and may have parasites on them

@everyone else...Are ghost shrimp that much more different than say mysis shrimp? I was thinking getting some live mysis to throw into the sump...but would local ghost shrimp be better? i know it's probably more economical.

I am down in Atlantic City...have tons of bay spots and and some great jetty entrances where I surf, Brigantine jetty. Tons of livestock...TONS!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phil, you are correct. I do not advocate the keeping of wild caught seahorses. There are enough captive bred ones available these days that there really is no need to attempt to keep wild caught ones.

As for mysis vs grass shrimp, that is a toss up. Mysis will most likely get sucked through the pumps and end up in your display, plus they are very cannibalistic and unless you have a lot of hiding placs in your sump, they will feast on each other. Not to mention that mysis are rather expensive to get, even more so if you want cultured ones.

Grass shrimp are large enough to be kept out of pumps but the larvae will end up in the tank providing a food source for fish and corals. Also cannibalistic but nearly on the scale as mysis. Not to mention they are free if you collect your own.

One way I transport the shrimp back without air pumps or anything like that is I put them in a water bottle(about 20 per bottle) 3/4 filled with ocean water, then just put it in the cooler. They last a couple of hours when chilled.

I have a boat at my shore house on oyster creek in Watertown. Maybe I will try using a seine around the creek and if the result is good we can organize something. I have walked around the bay up the road and was able to find an eel at night, that was the only cool thing I ever saw there.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a boat at my shore house on oyster creek in Watertown. Maybe I will try using a seine around the creek and if the result is good we can organize something. I have walked around the bay up the road and was able to find an eel at night, that was the only cool thing I ever saw there.

Where abouts on Oyster Creek, Bay Parkway or Dock Ave? You mean Waretown correct?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Haha yes I mean Waretown. (iPhone auto correct) I'm on privateer cove. It's the last street on bay.

I live right on Bay Pkwy, 4th house on the left from Rt 9. Next time your down let me know and I'll take ya out. We collect at the end of Bay Pkwy and all along that shoreline heading south.

Paul B

NJRC Member
At one time or another almost every creature on the eastern seaboard has been in mytank. Now there are crabs, shrimp and snails but I had lobsters, flounders, eels, horseshoe crabs and I collect amphipods every
week in the summer.
boxfish007.jpg

boxfish004.jpg

scan0003-1.jpg

Anemone1.png

Localtank008.jpg

Project17.png

amphipods002.jpg
007-1.jpg[/IMG]
IMG_0634.jpg

At one time or another almost every creature on the eastern seaboard has been in mytank. Now there are crabs, shrimp and snails but I had lobsters, flounders, eels, horseshoe crabs and I collect amphipods every
week in the summer.
boxfish007.jpg

boxfish004.jpg

scan0003-1.jpg

Anemone1.png

Localtank008.jpg

Project17.png

amphipods002.jpg
007-1.jpg[/IMG]
IMG_0634.jpg

that is so cool! is that an anemone in the fourth pic? so freshwater ghost shrimp acclimate easily to saltwater?

Paul B

NJRC Member
that is so cool! is that an anemone in the fourth pic? so freshwater ghost shrimp acclimate easily to saltwater?

That is a 1/4" rock anemone, very common and they are salt water grass shrimp. I can fill a five gallon bucket with no water, just shrimp in about five minutes.
I go to this tidepool with my boat but you don't need a boat for most of this stuff.
This is in the Long Island Sound
boat011.jpg