• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

location under our username

wouldn't this make everything a lot easier if we had our location listed under our user name like I have seen on many sites. It would make it easier for mods who have to keep telling people in the For Sale thread to add their location. I know I would like to know what users live close to me, it would give me more incentive to meet more people and possibly set up trades and sales, etc. Just my two cents.

Matt

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I know quite a few of us have our locations in our signatures.

Giving folks a place to fill in their location doesn't mean they will. I help run another forum where we have the location line in the user info section and on the registration page. I can tell you that 90% of the folks still don't bother to fill in the info.

I'm on another message board that does this. Most of us do not fill it in simply because there are too many freaks on the internet. A lot of people don't necessarily want their location out there.

most of us don't have our real names as your signatures unlike Mike Napoli so saying that I live in North Brunswick and my username is Altohombre really wouldn't help any freaks on the internet. I would be fine with the county too because there are prob a lot of towns in my county that I never heard of and are prob close that I would discard if I just saw the town name.

I think putting the counties would make it so much easier. Almost all the time we end up asking for location. This should make it a bit better

I don't think it an issue IMO, it doesn't seem that hard to include your location when trying to sell anything and I think IMO 99% of people do. I understand that it's easy to make a mistake were all human after all and we all make mistakes, but i don't think including a location is that big a deal, most people readily provide it when asked, and all you have to do is use any of the internet map tools and you can find it when provided to see how close they are.

Just my two cents
Harry

Harry I think it's more for GroupBuys. Not so much the forsale forum. When we need to find out where things need to be distributed it helps. It also eliminates a question when you're dealing with someone you're selling to or buying from.

But I will say it's hard enough getting half the people to do something. To get everyone to do it would take a long while.

MikeNapoli said:
Harry I think it's more for GroupBuys. Not so much the forsale forum. When we need to find out where things need to be distributed it helps. It also eliminates a question when you're dealing with someone you're selling to or buying from.

But I will say it's hard enough getting half the people to do something. To get everyone to do it would take a long while.

gotcha, i guess for group buys it makes sense

Harry

I think the point you guys are missing is that this site is supposed to be a community. As a new user to the site and as someone who has just setup a tank 100 days ago I would like to be able to read someones post, notice that they may live close to me and ask the questions about what local LFS's they go to in the area, if they ever want to carpool to an event or meeting, if they trade or sell anything, etc. I am much more likely to PM someone about these things if they also live in my county instead of posting randomly to a user who is online a lot and find out they live in Clifton when I live in North Brunswick.

Matt
North Brunswick, NJ
Middlesex County

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Matt,

This topic was brought up some time ago, and I believe a few members have their location in their signatures.

You are 100% right in saying that this IS (not supposed) to be a community. But we also have to keep in mind it is a public community. Not everyone wants to put their addresses out there for all to see. Usually people will post if they want to try and get a carpool going...You can do that as well, no harm in trying...that's for sure! :)

Right now it's just not feasible to have the officers start a database up to try and implement this. There is A LOT on our plate now, and this isn't something that would be at the top of our priority list. Maybe in the future we can look into it again, It's a nice idea for sure...but you will also find that the longer you are on the forums the more familiar you will get with members locations..We have been trying to keep locations in the for sale/trade forum in the original threads to help avoid confusion.

So all that being said, it's a great idea...just a little tough to implement...but it's out there now, and all members can see this thread and add their County/town..etc if they choose to.

Brian,

Any thoughts to making a member map using google maps? Perhaps include local sponsors on the map as well? Make it optional still of course and another perk for paid members?

Oh and I'm willing to do the leg work if you're interested.

Keith

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There is an officer's conference call coming up shortly. I can add this to the agenda for us to speak about.

Thanks for the offer of help, we'll come calling when we need it! ;D