• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Logan13103's 28 gal bow reef

Hi guys,
Im new to reefing and even newer to NJ Reefers. Find out through Aquatic Obsessions, which I lived 1/4 of a mile from and never knew about until my wife found it.
I've got a 28 gallon bowfront that I set up in August 2006, and just moved in September to a new apartment, so ignore the white coralline ::). Sorry for the poor photos, still playing with the camera settings.

Specs:
Tank: 28 gallon bowfront (24"X12-15"X18")
Lighting: POS 130W Coralife Aqualight with 1 Actinic and 1 10K PC's
Skimming: Started with Coralife (not so)SuperSkimmer 65, happier with Tunze Nano.
Circulation: Seio M620 and Koralia 1
Refugium: CPR HOT Aquafuge (3.75 gallons) lit by Galaxy Light stocked with LR rubble, Chaeto, and the ever present Grape Caulerpa.
Photperiod: Actinics 9A - 9P
Daylight 10A - 8P
Fuge 8A - 10P
Sand: Approx 40lbs mix of Seaflor Special Grade Reef and Aragamax
Live rock: Approx 60 lbs mix of Fiji and Marshall, mostly Fji, from multiple LFS's.
Salt: Reef crystals
IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Live stock;
Clean-up: Nassarius, Cerith, and Astrea snails
Emarld crabs
Dwarf blue leg, red leg, and scarlet hermit crabs
Persian Sand Conch
Red Fromia Star
IMG_0041.jpg

Fish: Ocellaris clown fish pair
IMG_0053.jpg

PJ cardinal
IMG_0003.jpg

Yellow Watchman Goby (whom I only see when I move the tank)
Coral: Caulestra
IMG_0049.jpg

Orange Fungia
IMG_0014.jpg

Pink Fungia
IMG_0044.jpg

Finger Leather?
IMG_0043.jpg

Green Star Polyp
IMG_0021.jpg

Zoanthids
IMG_0047.jpg

Palythoas
IMG_0046.jpg

Sun Coral
IMG_0045.jpg

Mushrooms
IMG_0048.jpg

I don't think I left anything out. I definately need to fill the tank in some more, but that's what the frag swap is for! I'm also hoping to upgrade the lighting soon, to an LED like Solaris. MH wont work because of the brace down the middle and it is too hot.
Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Chris
Edison, NJ

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Logan, Welcome to NJRC's forums. We're glad you found us. The tank looks great, btw!

Welcome to the forums! I really like bowfronts and my next step up from my 12g may be that. Do you have a canopy on top? Im just wondering how your light fixture is attached. Any pics?

Keep us updated!

Thanks Constantine. I really like the look of the bowfronts too. As we always say, if you are thinking of upgrading and have room, and the $$$, get as pic a bowfront as possible! Here are a few pics of the lighting mounted. It is just the standard coralife mounting legs that rotate so you can flip the light fixture up. THe light has been OK, but I think I need more intensity has I am unhappy with the grow rates right now.
IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Chris - welcome! i'm just south of you in metuchen.

Really great first post/description. Quick question - how long have you had the red fromia? Was under the impression they are tough to keep???

Got new T5's, they really make the colors pop. Can you tell a difference?
PC's
IMG_0037.jpg

T5's
IMG_0001_2.jpg

IMG_0014-2.jpg

IMG_0011-1.jpg

And the few things I picked up at Aquatic Obsessions' Anniversary Sale (I got there too late, I heard there were some wicked pink Stylo's)
IMG_0012-1.jpg

IMG_0013-1.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Love the look of the new lights. That's about the color temp of our tank as well. I really like that bit of blue in there.