• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Looking for pulsing xenia and blue clove polyps

You guys like playing with fire eh?
Listen right now if pulsing xenia or blue clove is fire call me an arsonist I just want some corals to take off in my tank to the point were to much coral is my problem instead of not enough.
Funny fact in the early years of reef keeping Xenia was one of the hardest corals to get a hold of and had a extremely high mortality rate during shipping. Early hobbiest thought at the time xenia would be nearly impossible to keep but now we worry itll over take us

DangerDave

NJRC Member
lol, too much coral may be an understatement. You may be better off with GSP, at least when it over grows you can remove it effectively. There are many easy to grow corals available.

If you must have xenia, expect it to eventually become a xenia only tank. That is fine if it's what you want. An interesting option I've seen is a xenia sump for nutrient removal.

lol, too much coral may be an understatement. You may be better off with GSP, at least when it over grows you can remove it effectively. There are many easy to grow corals available.

If you must have xenia, expect it to eventually become a xenia only tank. That is fine if it's what you want. An interesting option I've seen is a xenia sump for nutrient removal.

I have a red sea 350 and have trouble keeping the overflow "reasonably" clean since its a hard to reach area unless you remove the tubing. My thought was exactly as you stated, to leave the lid off the overflow in the middle rear, let light grow, and see if I can grow some xenia in it as a natural nutrient remover on it's way to the sump. Might be a little over ambitious trying to get them to grow in a "darker" region of tank but hopefully thats why I spent was I did on XR lights ha. Any opinion regarding this idea? Maybe someone has already attempted it?

Worst case, I believe is I have to do the thorough cleaning I'm trying to avoid anyway.....

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Jeremy. I have some for you, but I’m not around till after the weekend. Can easily meet you in Jackson or Howell next week.