• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Looking to buy DSLR for x-mas present....have no clue where to start

Thanks for looking.

Am looking to buy a DSLR camera for my wife for x-mas this year but really have no clue what I am looking for. I hope to spend under $1000 for a great setup if that is possible and was looking for a few names and model numbers to look at.

Then from there I guess I would check the reviews and try to find them in store so I could handle one before buying. Now trying to do this all without "someone" finding out is going to be the hard part :D

I know we have a ton of photo buffs here so I am hoping you can put me on the right track. The camera is mostly going to be used for baby pics....our current digital is just too slow to keep up with our 8 month old.....plus my tank pics look awful.

Thanks for the help

The Nikon D60 kit is under $1K. It's a pretty good beginner DSLR and stock lens is pretty good. I think the kit comes with 18-55mm and 55-200mm. Costco should have this around $750 if I recall. They have the 12MP (forget model number) for $999 I think.

for reviews and prices you can go to cnet.com

Good reviews. I am looking into getting the Sony a300. It has "live view" (you don't have to look thru viewfinder to take pic, it is on the lcd on back like smaller cameras)

Ritz has it for 599.00 or sonystyle.com

Andy

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Most of the dSLRs have live view now. I know the Nikon products do. But of course I'm partial to Nikon ;D

In the end they're all going to do similar things for you. You'll want to make sure that you're comfortable with the camera in your hand, so test drive them all before you commit.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Am headed out tomorrow to look at the Nikon d80 and d60 plus the sony a350k??

They have the sony which is a 14 megapixel with a 18-70mm and a75-300mm lens for $800

Will see how it goes :D

Well I think I finally made a decision on which one I am going to get. Am going to order the Nikon d90... Found it new online in NY for $1109 with free shipping....am going to do a bit more checking on the price and will probably order it on mon morning.

Felt really good while trying it out.....I hope she likes it :D