• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lots of Dino's read many threads still have questions please help

For several reasons I recently broke down my tank one reason was a loosing battle with Dino's. The more I read on this subject the more I become terrified of it.

I am taking advantage of this break down to upgrade to a 180. All my live rock about 80-90 pounds has been sitting in brute can for about three weeks.

Weekly i change 100% of the water and I test the water for no2 and po4 I am also running gfo in the container. No2 is at about 10 and PO4 is .13. The PO4 decreased almost 50% since I started to run gfo two weeks ago

My biggest concern is if I use the rock in the new system I don't want to introduce any of the pests Dino's to the new system.

So with that said two questions

1) How do I know when or if my old rocks are Dino free

2) should I just take the nuclear option muriatic acid or something similar

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone assist with letting me know if/when/how my rocks get free of this pest. Thanks

I soaked my rock in bleach for a couple days then vinegar for a couple days washed off really good with a hose in between both then a couple days then a good sun dry then tank
That should do it

Thanks did not want to "kill" the rock but I am starting to realize it's the only way to be sure.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
If it's been in the brute for that long with no light there's a good chance the Dino's have died out. I would use a small pump/powerhead to blow off the rocks a few times before doing a waterchange on the brute.

Try ultra algae x by fauna marin. Also Tech M magnesium by Kent seems to kill off algae.
Just a heads up the Ultra Algae X is almost always sold out so if you see it grab as much as you can. I used it once and then had to wait 6 months till I could find it in stock again.

Thanks so I guess I should not nuke my rocks is what I am hearing. I appreciate all the advice.

Hawkeye I have read that before and it's seems to be solid advice. The only difference is my rock is already out of my tank so I wanted to ensure that it does not get back into my new tank through the old rock.

i had bryopsis in my tank once and i thought the world was ending....

i beat it thanks to tech M mag and lots of pruning. Dinos sound just as evil. good luck!!

Thanks I broke the tank down because I was going to redo the floor in that room anyway then Dino's so I took advantage and upgraded to a 180 life give you lemons make lemonade I guess.