• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

LPS - Anyone else keep LPS as there primary coral?

I figure it's time to have a coral related discussion in this here reef club! ;D

Anyone else an LPS fanatic like me?

What do you keep? What are your secrets?

Pictures encouraged. When my daughter gets back from vacation with her camera and I finally catch up from neglecting my tanks for the last month, I'll try to get some pix of my favorite pieces.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We keep a predominantly LPS tank. Lots of frogspawn and the like, lots of lobos, chalice pieces, acans... And a few SPS thrown in for good measure! I don't have any pictures handy. Maybe I'll catch a couple tomorrow night.

I lean toward LPS as well...
I keep alot of frogspawn. Something about the way they move in the current was alway appealing.

Kenny Z.

I have more real estate in my tank dedicated to frogspawn and hammers than anything else. My centerpiece is a good size bubble.

I wanted a torch, but the tank filled up quick and I really don't have a spot with a big enough safe zone to prevent a war! As it is I have to make some room to break up a battle between one of my hammers and a candy cane.

I have two cyanaria that I really love. I'd love to add more, but they do take up some space.

sitting in front of john and phyl's tank this weekend has really made me think.. their tank looks awesome with their mixture of lps...

is anyone highly successful with lots of sps and lps growing together...

in the new tank there will be lots of real estate for both.. but wasn't sure of the success?

My original idea was LPS only, nothing else!

But then I decided that the top of my rockwork would look great with some caps. And then Mike and Merv gave me some SPS frags, and so it began!

What I have found is in a tank tuned for LPS; low flow, VHO lighting, lots of life in the water, not overskimmed etc., there are some spots that some simple SPS will thrive in. I have a milli and a digi on top of one of my rock structures and in the direct path of a MJ1200 that are thriving. But the rest of my SPS grow rather slow. I'm moving these guys to a more SPS friendly environment in another club members tank this week.

My tank is only 75g, I think with larger tanks its easier to mix corals as you can construct rockwork to make low flow backwater areas that are shaded for the LPS while still maintaining an overall SPS friendly environment.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a nice mix of LPS/SPS in my tank right now... Everything seems to be getting along fine. Like Bill said, I try and situate the corals in the proper area of the tank. I don't skim very "wet" and I run carbon in 2 reactors.

I'm not sure how the SPS thing even started for me...I always thought they were boring, but I have to admit, watching them grow turned out to be pretty damn interesting.

I have several LPS in my tank. I would consider my tank LPS dominated, but lately I have been getting a few sps. My favorites are micros and dendros, does anyone else keep these?

What about fragging lps corals such as micros or acans, has anyone done so before?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We did a lot of that at the last meeting. The pieces that the club has leftover from the fragging still look great, so I'm imagining the frags still look good too!