• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lps issues

My green hammer pulled in about 2 weeks ago and has completely died off. Wouldn't bother me except what ever is wrong seems to be spreading to my wells, peach hammer, and Acan. I have a few frogspawns and some SPS that seem to be unaffected, as well as a carpet anemone.

I feed one or two times a week with reefroids.

Tank parameters are as follows:
Ammonia .1
Nitrite .02
Salinity is 1.025/34
Calcium 520
Alk 12

I am waiting for a friend to come home tonight so i can do my other testing.

Was thinking about dipping the corals again to make sure there is nothing there, but I can't see anything with a visual inspection.

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't see that you tested for nitrates I think your calcium might be a little to high but that's strange good luck did you test your phosphates although your SPS would be affected too if po4 was high

Tank is online for 20 months and went through a complete cycle. Those levels are something i have seen go from zero to those levels are random times. Doesn't last too long.

Anyone use the Interceptor method for treating stuff like this. Trying to come up with something. I have definitely lost 1 hammer, half a Wells is gone, and my peach hammer looks horrible. Just wanted to get some feedback. IMG_5275.JPG This Wells was only showing 1/8th of its skeleton this morning.

What are you looking to treat with interceptor. The only use for that in our tanks would be red bugs. At least in my experience.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
whats the temp? they can bleach with temps going a few degrees higer then they are used to.

Temperature has not been higher than 79.5, but is typically between 78 and 79. I run carbon in my tank already so not sure. I am really just stabbing here in the dark. I don't want to lose more corals. The wells is going in a bucket tonight along with the hammer. Hopefully it won't spread to something else. I am truly at a loss here.

We're are you getting your water from?
Also what is your phosphate & mag?
What salt are you using?
Did you switch brands or start dosing anything recently?
Your alk & cal levels are a bit high..,

Water is from RODI unit, TDS is zero. Salt is Red Sea Coral Pro, has been since the tank started. Phos is .01, Mag I have to test. No dosing since my levels tested that high (usually ALk and Cal). I gave up on those two pieces can't risk it if it is something that spreads, there were pretty much dead anyway.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
For one your ALK is very high and could certainly cause some recession in LPS. Also there is no reason you should be getting Nitrite and Ammonia readings at this point with a tank this old and fully cycled. Has something large died in the tank, besides the corals?? A large fish?? I would also check for Nitrates, as if you are getting other high readings these are high too.

Honestly I would take that ALK reading down a few points, that will certainly keep your corals under stress. How often are you doing water changes??

I have turned off ALK dosing completely. I have to test again today. I do water changes once a week about 25 gallons so 14% a week. Have been doing that for almost a year.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
What else is in the tank stock wise. Anything else that could have nipped or stung it which started the downward spiral?? Any sign or brown jelly?

For now it stopped. The ones that died, are out and gone. Nothing has been nipping at them nor stinging them. It was a 'pull in, never come out again' moment. Frustrating but so is life with a reef tank.