• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Macro Pictures of Bubble Algae Spores

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just found one 1 inch bubble floating in my 55 drum of bleach mix...The bleach has made it easy to see the spores inside.. I thought I would share :)....
o8ylj9.jpg

fyiw69.jpg

6zu5g7.jpg

2llcdhs.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Really nice pictures, thought I would add a piece we pulled out of our 20g. It was hidden on a piece of LR so we could not see it for a while

That is my wife's thumb in the picture to give scale

bubblealgae.jpg

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks guys!... mnat next time you find one that size and I hope you don't(For good reasons).. pick it off add to a glass of 1/10 part bleach and water mix.. wait a day or so then just give it a shake like a snow globe hold up to a light and you can just about see them with the naked eye..

i'm hoping we don't find any more that size, but if we do I'll be sure to turn it into a snowglobe thanks for the instructions!

The_Codfather said:
Just found one 1 inch bubble floating in my 55 drum of bleach mix...The bleach has made it easy to see the spores inside.. I thought I would share :)....

Thanks for sharing!

I know this is a little off topic, but why do you keep a 55 drum of bleach mix?

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Dave said:
The_Codfather said:

Thanks for sharing!

I know this is a little off topic, but why do you keep a 55 drum of bleach mix?
I just picked up 200Lbs of live rock covered in bubble algae and other nasty stuff.. the rock had also been sitting outside for a few days so i thought the best thing was just to nuke it... This rock is going to be base rock for a new set up and will be well seeded

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Update: Well it's been over one month after I started the Nuke in a Bleach mix( now a 50/50 mix after the 2nd week) and a lot of the bubble algae are still hanging in there.. Most are the very small one's with thicker skins and deep in cracks and holes in the rock.. Been running 3 air stones with a PH in the 55gl drum ( no heater)..WILL THIS THING EVER DIE??? :'(

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Why run airstones? That will assist in dissipating the chlorine.

Also, please realize that chorine is “consumed” in the oxidation process. If you’ve got a lot of organic matter, might just need to add another bottle or two. Although if you mean 50 percent of store bought bleach to water, that’s pretty potent.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
redfishbluefish said:
Why run airstones? That will assist in dissipating the chlorine.

Also, please realize that chorine is “consumed” in the oxidation process. If you’ve got a lot of organic matter, might just need to add another bottle or two. Although if you mean 50 percent of store bought bleach to water, that’s pretty potent.
Hey Paul..I thought I would run air stones to move the mix around the algae.. A lot small Algae bubbles are floating up to the surface from it.. It's been a 50/50 mix for 2 weeks now and the small bubbles still have thick skins

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Update: Rock just got a Muriatic acid dip and now in a tap water soak.. Still had a few bubbles still intact but the Muriatic acid dip took care of them ..Date started bleach soak 01/16 /2010.. Yeah it's been that long!