• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mag Drives not firing up.

I believe I have read there is common a solution for this, but can't recall it since it has been a few years since I read it.

I have a relatively new (6mo. old) Mag 9.5 that is refusing to start up. It has been unused for a while since I shut down by previous tank about two years ago. Can anyone enlighten me with any tips to get this pump going again. I did take it apart and cleaned the propeller unit off, but am still stumped.

Oddly enough, I have a brand new Mag 12 I plan on using when I set up my MRC1 that is also refusing to fire up. What the heck? I know these pumps are pretty reliable, so I hoping I can put my finger on the solution.
Thx

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You could try some percussive maintenance. If that doesn't work, a good soak in vinegar is a safe bet.

About a month and a half ago I did the same thing. (take it apart to clean it) And it didn't fire up. Turns out when I put the magnet impeller back in .. I cracked the magnet. Take it apart and inspect all the pieces. Chances are you need a new impeller.

Gotcha Phyl - I did give the 9.5 an unassembled overnight soak to no avail., but will give it another shot this weekend. I tapped it around in a bucket to no avail. Pretty frustrating. I think a higher quality pump will be my next investment, after a t5 setup. Fortunately, I do have a 9.5 currently running that is working well. (knock on wood while holding breath!)

The Mag12 is another story since this one is brand spanking new. :mad:

I have heard of situations where Mags will run for years and then when reefers shut them, they have a heck of a time getting them to fire up again. Any other thoughts?
Thanks

I have a Mag 5 which, after cleaning, wouldn't fire up also. I kind of thought it may be a cracked magnet, does anyone know where to get replacement parts?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You could check locally at TFJ Petcenter, Aquatic Obsessions or one of our other sponsors, or you could check with Premium Aquatics and see if they carry them.

Thanks, will do. I've never seen replacement parts on any of the web sites, but then again I haven't looked specifically. They may be under a miscellaneous heading. I live north of Philly, I'll check out the two local sponors you've mentioned.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Out by Philly are Allquatics and The Hidden Reef as well. Good luck. I know we bought a replacement impeller assembly for a Mag 12 (replaced it with the impeller of a Mag 18 effectively ending up with a Mag 15) online a while back, but we haven't had to replace any recently.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If one of our sponsors doesn't have them, I've gotten Mag impellers from Custom Aquatics . com

This is wierd but the same thing happens to my Ocean Runner. If I give it a little shake it starts up and doesn't quit until I unplug it. Plug it back in - another little shake and it's good to go.

Fairfield gardens on rt46 W had some parts for mag drives...I just bought a cover for a 5 last week
there..they also had impellers as well..