• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Magnetic frag mounts

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well this was my first attempt at making these so figured I'd chronicle it here.

The magnets I purchased already epoxy coated as it was cheaper than buying the materials and doing it myself.

These are the magnets I ordered:
K&J Magnetics - Products

Here they are when they arrived.
fragmagnets005.jpg

fragmagnets006-1.jpg

For my first attempt at using them I just glued some frags I had already mounted on frag disks to the magnets.
fragmagnets003.jpg

fragmagnets004.jpg

fragmagnets007.jpg

And here they are in the frag tank. Please excuse the HA.

fragmagnets008.jpg

fragmagnets009.jpg

fragmagnets010.jpg

I am going to try gluing some to egg crate to see how the are for holding a frag rack. I am also looking into some 3/4" magnets but they were out of stock right now.

I just ordered some Neodymium magnets last week for the same thing but mine aren't coated. Do you think they would be a problem in saltwater?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If they are not coated they can not be used in saltwater. You will need to coat them in some sort of epoxy or coating that will seal them from contacting the SW.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks good, Matt. How strong are those magnets and how big of a frag do you think they'll hold? The reason I ask is because we have a birds nest on one of the frag-mags I got from Mike and it's gotten too big. Until I can remount it I have to put my mag float under it to keep it off the sand.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
These magnets only have 16.65 ponds of pull force. Haven't tried to see how much they will hold. I can try it and see. I have various sizes of LR rubble I can play with.

I am getting some 3/4" epoxy coated as soon as they get them back in stock. They have 33.85 lbs of pull force.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK I got the large magnets in finally. I went ahead and made up 1 frag magnet and one frag rack so far. The rack utilizes 2 sets of magnets and is capable of holding 24 frag plugs or about 12 frag disks. All my testing for weight so far has been done on a 29 gallon tank. I don't have actually numbers for the weight but you can get an idea by the size of the pieces that I used.

Frag rack:
fragmagnets010-1.jpg

fragmagnets009-1.jpg

fragmagnets007-1.jpg

fragmagnets006-2.jpg

fragmagnets005-1.jpg

Pretty nice Matt. I have something similar that I paid for and the magnets are too weak.

Your design is much nicer and looks to handle way more weight.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks Mike. I have 2 different size magnets that I am using. The last set of pics are the stronger of the 2. With the smaller magnets I was able to put a 3 x 1.5" in frag on and it held on my 70 gallon which is almost 1/2" glass.

I haven't tried to see what the larger ones hold, but I can tell you that the one in the pic above doesn't quite hold on the 70 gallon. I will try it with a smaller piece and see.