• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Majestic Angel

I picked up a Majestic Angel last Thursday. It has come out of hiding maybe once since then. In the past two days, it hasn't come out into the open at all. I can see it hiding in a cave, but that's it. I'm concerned that it will die because it can't be eating. Is there anything I can to to help it come out?

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
Majestic angels are the least aggressive But the most shy. Feed the tank and walk away for a while. It will find the food. It will slowly venture out over the next couple of weeks. If you have one use a turkey baster to squirt some food where he is hiding.

Sorry to hear that. Next time you can also try a fresh clam on the half shell tied to a rock. Personally I avoid the turkey baster routine until they're well established.

radiata

NJRC Member
Mike,

How big was your Majestic? I have it stuck in my head that the smaller Majestics are more adaptable to captivity than the larger ones, but that could just be an old wife's tale. At the moment, I actually find myself looking for a larger one...

Thanks,
Bob

Bob:

The angel was about 4". I picked up another yesterday from Reef Corner. It's probably about the size size of the first one, but this one definitely has a different personality. The new angel was out swimming with the other fish after about a half hour and it's eating too.

if you're looking for one, I know that Aquatic Obsessions has one.

Mike,

How big was your Majestic? I have it stuck in my head that the smaller Majestics are more adaptable to captivity than the larger ones, but that could just be an old wife's tale. At the moment, I actually find myself looking for a larger one...

Thanks,
Bob

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
Mine took a good 2 weeks before it ate out in the open and became part of the feeding frenzy. A beautiful fish, but shy. Now its always out.