• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Make my burger well done please

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Agricultural giant Cargill Inc said on Saturday it was recalling more than 1 million pounds of ground beef distributed in the United States because of possible E. coli contamination.

Cargill Meat Solutions said the 1.084 million pounds (491,700 kg) of ground beef was produced at the Wyalusing, Pennsylvania, facility between October 8 and October 11, and distributed to retailers across the country.

The retail chains that sold the beef include Giant, Shop Rite, Stop & Shop, Wegmans and Weis.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture returned a confirmed positive for the E. coli bacteria on a sample produced on October 8, the privately owned company said.

USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service said the problem was discovered through follow-up investigation and sampling after a positive E. coli test at another federal establishment.

Symptoms of E. coli 0157:H7 illness, the strain associated with the recall, include potentially severe stomach cramps, diarrhea and dehydration. Children, the elderly and people with poor immune systems are the must vulnerable.

"No illnesses have been associated with this product," John Keating, president of Cargill Regional Beef, said in a statement. "We are working closely with the USDA to remove the product from the marketplace."

The recalled products have use/freeze-by dates of October 19 through Nov 3. Most will have the USDA establishment number of EST 9400 inside the USDA mark of inspection.

In addition, there are various weights and varieties of ground beef distributed for further processing and repackaging that will not have the same establishment number.

The recall was the second by Minneapolis-based Cargill in a month. On October 7 the company recalled about 844,812 pounds (383,200 kg) of frozen beef patties produced at a Wisconsin plant.

In September Topps Meat Company LLC recalled 21.7 million pounds of ground beef after a string of E. coli-related illnesses. It was the fifth-largest meat or poultry recall in U.S. history.

Topps, the biggest U.S. manufacturer of frozen hamburgers, has since gone out of business.

For a list of the products subject to recall, click on: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/Recall_051-2007_Release.pdf

panmanmatt said:
Room temperature is warm enough. :D Anything longer is well done.

Actually, in Germany you eat 'em right out of the fridge - with raw onions on top, and call it a "Mett Sandwich". YUMMY! ;)

---
Wendy

panmanmatt said:
monsterfishkeeper said:
Why dont people just cook their hamburgers long enough ???

I have a friend who would probably share that opinion with you.

He often described how to cook his burgers by saying, "I want you to show it to the grill and make it scream a little."

I think I got one of the packages from Wegmans a few weeks ago. I felt a little ill overnight. I've had E-Coli so many times from going SCUBA diving in the islands and Mexico it's disgusting. I get it every time I go away. Always come home very sick.

kathainbowen said:
panmanmatt said:
monsterfishkeeper said:
Why dont people just cook their hamburgers long enough ???

I have a friend who would probably share that opinion with you.

He often described how to cook his burgers by saying, "I want you to show it to the grill and make it scream a little."

I agree!! ;D I call it "Flame kissed" when it comes to meats on the grill!! anything more and you can just chuck it in the trash can. :-X