• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Making a rock tower.

So I want to make the rock work go most of the way up in my 40 pillar without stacking against the back wall. What would be the safest way to do this? PVC through the middle, Pulling all the rock out and concreting it all together, zipties, ect? I want it to be about 23-24" high. Also as fall proof as possible as there is a engineer goby that moves ALOT of sand.

i did mine with just pvc..works good and without the epoxy it allows me to slightly change the rock around from time to time

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would say that 1 inch PVC is a bigggggg hole.....about an inch and a quarter+. I'd be looking at 1/2 inch CPVC....it's a light tan color and smaller than regular 1/2 inch PVC. My local HD no longer carries it, but Lowe's does.

i used i think 1/2 and 3/4 pvc for mine..smaller hole=less likely to split the rock...an h bottom should work good, i've seen alot of good ways of using the pvc depending on what your going for. i was going to try the cpvc but the ones i tried offered to much flex for my taste but you can try it. mine isn't as tall as your going for but i think you should still be ok with a smaller sized pipe if the rocks interlock each other like mine does

Another Question.

How long is LR good for outside of a tank? I plan on using the rock that is in the tank already, but don't know how long I have to work with it before there is a dieoff and it pollutes the tank.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Make sure you cap all the ends. You don't want any worms growing in there.

Another thought for the base is to use a flat rock for that. I had a pretty flat rock and then a took a saw to make it flush. Then I superglued the pvc into a hole I drilled into that base piece so it was rigid. Then did what every else says to stack rocks on top of that through the holes and pvc. Below is a picture:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365087361.429227.jpg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Get yourself a masonry bit. They're a bit more expensive but will last longer drilling rock than a standard drill bit. It looks almost identical to a standard bit but is made from different materials and designed to drill rock, concrete, brick etc

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I would leave them empty the weight of the rock you're attaching to them should be more than enough to keep them from floating or anything.

So I had to go buy a drill with a plug as the battery one died after one rock. Not sure how thrilled I am with the look of it but Alivia seems to like it and I think I could get away with some softies up top, hoping the starfish doesn't venture there.

IMG-20130406-01744_zps0f80f784.jpg

Did you epoxy the rock? If not then you could always change a few pieces out to change then look...I have some drilled pieces if you decide something else...maybe put a flatter shelf piece in there...I have a few, I plan on taking my towers down to try something different