• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

making saltwater

I am thinking about making my own saltwater as I am getting tired of lugging 5 gallon jugs from the LFS. I have a RO/DI unit for my top off water so I am set there although I am thinking of upgrading to a unit that makes more per day. I will be using Instant Ocean and the box recommends using a dechlorinator such as BIO-Coat Marine to neutralize any tap water chlorine and/or chloramines. Just wanted to get your thoughts on this and the process from those of you that make your own water. I don't want to upset my tank as it is doing really well. Thanks...MLK

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you're using an RO/DI, that should take out the chloramines and so on.
I think their directions are meant for people that don't use RO/DI's.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You should make the water perimeters the same as your tank water, or close. PH, temp, SG, etc...

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
MLKsreef said:
Ok, so basically just add the recommended salt to the RO/DI, warm, circulate, aerate...and that's it?

Almost. You'll want to add what is recommended...I usually add more...and then adjust to equal the salinity of the tank. To do this you will need either a hydrometer or refractometer to measure the specific graviy of the salt solution. It might sound complicated, but it is actually quite easy.

By the way, you'll want to mix your salt solution for at least a day to make sure everything is disolved.

For what its worth. I have been in this hobby for 6 years. I have been changing 50 gallons of water every week on my 300 gallon tank for the best 2 years. I add 50 gallons of RO/DI water to my bucket turn my mag 12 on add 24 cups of salt and let it mix for 2 days. I check gravity and if its at 1.025 I change my water......

Its not rocket science and in my opinion doing the water changes is the important part. As long as you are using a semi decent salt you will have no problems.

Also in the for what it is worth I think most salt mixes have some dechlorinator in them, surprised IO doesn't. If you are using RO/DI it doesn't matter as per Mike.
If you have corals I would use Reef Crystals ...step up in Ca.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Actually RO will not remove chloramines, just chlorine. Chloramines can be removed through carbon filtering the water before it goes into your RO unit. Chlormaines will severely shorten the life of your RO membrane.

If you have ro you should be fine. Mix your salt before you add it to the water. Sometimes stuff settles in the salt mix and you should always mix before you use it. Mix 1/2 cup with 1 gallon and mix with a pump for 24hrs before using. This will usually give you 1.024 - 25. I keep 26 so i usually need a bit more salt. You should get this water close to your tank waters temp before a water change.

Also, I personally like to keep mine a little below the recommended 1.026. I think the swings between top offs might take it into the .027+ range, just bugs me. I usually do .024-.025 just to be safe. Maybe Im OCD about things.

Another way to think of a water change....Consider it just like dosing...When you dose to raise Alk or Calcium or PH your not matching anything to your tank water your mixing it up and putting it in. Matching all those things to your tank water is a waste of time.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
reeferwanabe said:
Matt dont most RO units employ a carbon insert? mine does.
Yes they do but it is usually after the RO membrane. Running carbon prior to the membrane will remove the chloramines before they damage it. Thus increasing the effectiveness and life of the membrane.

panmanmatt said:
reeferwanabe said:
Matt dont most RO units employ a carbon insert? mine does.
Yes they do but it is usually after the RO membrane. Running carbon prior to the membrane will remove the chloramines before they damage it. Thus increasing the effectiveness and life of the membrane.

So do most of you run an extra carbon stage before the membrane??

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
All I run is carbon filtration for my make-up water, I don't even use RO.

You only need it if your water supply is treated with chloramine. You would need to contact your water company and see if they use chlorine or chloramine.