• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

mame style nano skimmer (DIY)

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
guys, I am thinking about installing a small, mame style nano skimmer in my 10gal IM. now from watching all the youtube videos, I can easily make a diy version out of a water bottle, but with limited space, I think the water bottle may be too big for my tank.

here is something I am looking to build ReefGlass nano air driven protein skimmer - Reef Builders | The Reef and Marine Aquarium Blog , something that slim and that can fit into one of the rear compartments. any ideas on what material and where I can get them from in order to make this thing? the pump I have and the stone I can get, the slim cylinder is my concern

any thoughts would be appreciated

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I just checked it and its not looking so spacious

right now I have almost no space for anything back there. I have a filter sock, chemi-pure, a neo therm heater, purigen, an apex probe holder (which is huge btw, I won it on R2R along with the apex jr) and my return pump. plus I have the gooseneck from my kessil hanging on there.

my next option is to install one inside but in the corner next to the overflow grate or I eliminate the filter sock chamber.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Not a ton of room at all, maybe something HOB, but even then you need some room for the pump and the return area. You might just have to be diligent on your water changes.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Not a ton of room at all, maybe something HOB, but even then you need some room for the pump and the return area. You might just have to be diligent on your water changes.
yea I know, thanx for the advice. my maintenance schedule is: water change every Wednesday + filter sock change and another filter sock change every Saturday

chemi-pure gets replaced every 15th of the month and the purigen once per month

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
what about the clear tube on a gravel vac?
that's what I was leaning towards, was hoping to find something a little slimmer as it have to be wedged in between the rockwork and glass so I can see maintenance on the wooden stone may be nightmare with the limited space...but do you think its worth a shot? IMG_20160413_102905.jpg IMG_20160413_102932.jpg

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking of using the square container. the vac tube has a nut that I can screw on for support

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
a follow up to this...here is what i came up with

i took that cone section from a siphon hose, and cut out a hole in a yogurt cup, then i just zipped tied a maxi jest hook bracket to it

threw in some line, an air stone, a cheap pimp i had lying around, and thats pretty much it IMG_20160427_073314.jpg IMG_20160427_073301.jpg

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Hey Trio,
Thanks for the post, setting up a 10g IM atm. This may get me experimenting this weekend.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Note that I had to pull the filter sock but what I did was wrap filter floss in a mesh, zip tied it and just stuffed it into the chamber

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I'm using a 3 tier media basket in chamber 1 - floss/carbon/phosban, then the soon to exist skimmer in chamber 2 with the heater, and a tunze nano ato in the return section. Getting crowded. :)
Nice to see its working, hopefully I've have the same luck.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
So, without having to pull out the entire skimmer, what I do is add a lil tank water to the cup and turkey-baste out the funky stuff