• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mangrove Pods $2 Pickup-Jersey City 07304

DSC00460.jpgDSC00459.jpg
If interested, send me a PM or come by the house.
I have plenty and depending how close and when is the next meeting, I will bring there.

Thats awesome..... like a big tentacle'y pod thingy of mangrove goodness. Looks like a bunch of asparagus. Now then. My woman works at Jersey City Goodwill..the one on JohnFKennedy Blvd near Journal Square. She is the manager. Wouldst thou drop 10 such mangroves off and retrieve the sum of 20 dollars one of these fine days? Cept.. not today... today shes off work.... but like the rest of the week.. ya man. Also... say I were to build a stand of sort out of eggcrate and zip tie these mangroves to them would they be happy?

You might find the infornation in this Feature Article: Mangroves In Reef Aquaria By Daniel Knop

Growing mangroves enables one to decorate a tank to look like a fringing reef that surrounds an island, as seen from the ocean. In fact, this is what I tried to do with my 1500 gallon tank with the help of 40 mangroves.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/4/aafeature

:)These pods are starting to sprout and are ready to take root.
DSC00462.jpg

Will be at the meeting for those interested. I don't know what's wrong, lot's of views and no responses. 201-238-7947 Eddie

howze01

NJRC Member
Hmmmm. At work now but I will take a look at the link you posted tonight when I get home. May be interested.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I am not too familiar with how these work, but how many are recommended on a per gal basis. Also so they need to be rooted in the sand of the fuge?? Thanks...

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Darren,
Not sure about how many per gallon. But I have 2 for my 75g with 30g sump. I just shoved them between 2 baffles in the sump under the light and they are doing fine.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I have had these in the 150G. I had about 6 going through a styrofoam block. The roots were free floating and the leaves NEED to be out of water.
They were in the sump. After a while the roots footed in the mud in the fuge and I removed the styrofoam.

However, the leaves do die and fall off. You need to keep removing dead leaves else it is extra waste ;)

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Darren,
Not sure about how many per gallon. But I have 2 for my 75g with 30g sump. I just shoved them between 2 baffles in the sump under the light and they are doing fine.

Are you worried that the root structure will push your baffles apart as the grow? I know they grow slowly but I could see that as a problem down the road...

I was interested too depending on the root structure and doing damage in the sump.OR being invasive and growing roots everywhere.Im not saying this is true...just wondering aloud.

howze01

NJRC Member
I'm going to take the plunge! If you could bring 5 to the meeting for me that would be awesome. I may add more to pop some in the 120 but for now 5 will do. Thanks!

Paul,

I live in Toms River and could probably drop it off on my way back from the meeting. Toss me a pm if you want me to.